Twenty-Eight: Dear Ali, Be Mine.

After school the following day, Ali leaned toward the front window of Cassie's Jeep as Cassie made a screeching turn into her neighborhood. Her neighborhood on the corner was out on his riding mower, making perfect stripes on the lawn. The little kids across the street were playing basketball t the lowered hoop. And at Mona Vanderwaal's house, Mona, Phi, and Chassey were strutting up and down the driveway in some sort of ugly-girl fashion show. Ali wrinkled her nose.

As Cassie rolled toward Ali's house, she turned to her and smiled. "I'm glad you took me up on the ride today. Was your brother busy?"

Ali shrugged. "Jason and I aren't exactly speaking right now."

Cassie's lips curled into a smile. "Want to run interference?"

Ali pretended to laugh, not wanting to get into exactly why they were fighting. She hadn't said a word to Jason since he'd told her that he thought it was a good idea the family was bringing her twin home, and it just seemed easier not to accept rides from him, too.

Cassie then turned and peered at the curb in front of Ali's house. "Do you have plans?"

Ali followed her gaze. Emily was standing at Ali's mailbox, putting something inside. But when she saw Ali, she quickly closed the box and stepped away from it as though it were on fire.

"Not that I was aware of," Ali murmured, a little annoyed at Emily's presence. Before, when Em showed up unannounced, it was welcome. But now, after everything that had happened, it felt sort of...intrusive. Clingy.

Cassie pulled to the curb. Emily stood with her arms at her sides, a timid smile on her face. She made no move to approach Cassie's Jeep, perhaps waiting for Ali's permission or introduction. Ali just turned to Cassie and gave her a huge hug. "This was so much fin," Ali said. Then she eyed Cassie's pack of Marlboro Lights. "Can I have one more for the road?"

Cassie raised her eyebrows. "Naughty girl, smoking on your own property! What if your parents see?"

"I don't care," Ali said.

Cassie lit the cigarette for Ali, and Ali took a big puff, trying her hardest not to cough. Then Cassie gave her a spritz of Dior perfume and took off. Ali stood with her back to Emily as Cassie turned the corner out of the development. Then, finally, she turned back to her mailbox.

"H-hey," Emily blurted. "I'm sorry."

Ali sank into her hip. "Sorry for what?"

"Interrupting. It seemed like you and Cassie were having fun."

"Uh-huh." Ali flicked the ash. "She's awesome."

Emily's gaze fell to the cigarette. "You guys smoke?"

Ali shrugged. "So?" She exhaled.

Emily swished the smoke away, then looked embarrassed by the gesture. "I just thought...I mean..."

Ali tapped the mailbox. It made a hollow, metal sound. "So were you stealing my mail, Em?"

Emily's mouth fell open. "No! Absolutely not! Actually, I—"

"Because that's a federal crime, you know," Ali interrupted. "You know what else is a federal crime in some states? Kissing people in tree houses."

Emily's eyes widen. She took a small step back.

Ali breathed out. "I'm kidding."

"Oh." Emily licked her lips. "I knew that."

She turned back to the mailbox, running her fingers over the plastic red flag. A plaintive look settled over her features, and she took a deep breath as if she was about to say something important. All of a sudden, Ali had a horrible thought: What if Emily wanted to talk about things? What if she wanted to, like, get all touchy-feely—literally?