Chapter Seven: Why Bother?

"When this mess of a tour slows down," Jonny begins to say, seemingly too nervous to finish his statement. You push away from his chest, looking up at him curiously.
"Would you perhaps," Jonny continues, still too flustered to even maintain eye contact with you.
"I'd love to go on a date with you." you finish for him. He looks down at you, his surprise turning into satisfaction.
"It's settled then," Jonny brushes your hair behind your ear, drawing you in for one final kiss.
"Hey! Save some for the date!" You joke, though you do appreciate Jonny's gesture.
"I just can't help it!" He responds, pecking you on the cheek. A fit of laughter ensues, and you step too far away from the record player, causing the headphones to unplug and the jazz music to interrupt the moment.
"I had completely forgotten about that," Jonny mutters as he steps past you, lifting the needle and returning the record to its case. The sound of the door opening startles you both, Jonny almost drops the vinyl.
"There you two are! We were looking all over." Colin says as he pushes his way inside.
"Something the matter?" Jonny asks, putting the record back where he'd found it originally.
"Everyone else wants to leave, it's practically 1 AM you know."
"Usually we'd stay longer"
"Yeah, but we have to travel tomorrow," Colin says, crossing his arms like a concerned mother.
"What were you two even doing up here?" He asks, eyeing you both suspiciously. Jonny keeps his head down, not wanting to tell Colin, but not
wanting to lie either.
"Jonny just wanted to show me a jazz record," you say, gesturing to the turn table.
"It's not often you see jazz in people's collections," Jonny adds, hoping to convince his brother further.
"Was it that one with the groovy song I like?" Colin asks. Jonny nods.
"Neat." He says as he turns towards the door, gesturing for you both to join him.
You meet everyone outside as they pile into the van.
"Still not a party person?" Thom asks once he sees you.
"Not really." You shrug, sitting down next to Jonny. In the cover of the night, you hold Jonny's hand the whole drive home.

———

Jonny bid you adieu once you reached the hotel, making his way to his hotel room which he'd be sharing with Colin. He wasn't opposed to the idea of sharing with his brother, he'd just hoped Colin wouldn't bring up his crush on you. Jonny pulled the door shut behind himself, locking it.
"You kissed her, didn't you?" His sibling asked from the opposing side of the room. Jonny looked up to see Colin sitting in a chair, arms crossed.
"I don't know what you're talking about." Jonny lied, trying to keep his body language as comfortable as possible.
"Oh come on! There's no way you just listened to music!" Colin seemed appalled at his little brother's lie.
"We did." Jonny stammered through gritted teeth.
"Liar!" Colin pointed an accusatory finger. Jonny didn't seem to recover as easily this time.
"God, how do you always know." He wiped his face in embarrassment.
"You're a terrible liar, Jon-Jon." The mention of this nickname only thickened the shame of being caught.
"You can't tell anyone, got it?" Jonny was serious, he wasn't allowing Colin to mess anything up for him.
"I won't... only if you tell me what happened." Colin teased, a smirk widening on his face.
Jonny groaned.
"Why do I even bother trying to hide things?"

———

     Walking back into your hotel room, you had to pinch yourself a few times to check everything was real. The whole experience felt surreal, how could a boy be so perfect? As you unwind for the night, you couldn't stop thinking of him. It took you a few splashes of cold water to settle yourself down enough to stop pacing around your room. Once you lay down, your hotel phone rang, it was your mom.
"Hi, honey! How has everything been so far?"
"Mom, it's like 2 in the morning",
"Oh, I'm so sorry! I always forget about timezones, I'll let you get some sleep."
"Wait! I want to tell you about someone I met."
As fast as you had mentioned Jonny, you couldn't seem to stop talking about him. You told your mom everything, from the chat at the airport to your guitar lessons and even your first kiss. The more you talked about him, the more you liked him, you didn't think it was possible to like someone as much as you liked Jonny.

     You had been so enamored in your conversation with your mom that you didn't realize you had a visitor.
"Jonny kissed you??" The voice said in utter confusion. You were more than frightened at the sudden intrusion, but it turned out to be just Thom.
"Thom?! How'd you get in here??" Instinctively, you sat up, drawing your legs to your chest.
"I overheard you talking and wanted to say hello!"
"Why didn't you knock or something?!"
"I did! But you mustn't have heard me and your door was unlocked, so I just let myself in..." Thom trails off, realizing how stupid he sounds. You take the silence as a sign to tell your mom you're going to bed.
"Love you too Mom, night." The click of the phone is deafening, you have no idea how you're going to worm your way out of this one. Turning to face Thom takes effort, you chew the inside of your cheek anxiously.
"so...." you start, not wanting to say anything but wanting to at least fill the silence.
"Jonny kissed you?" He asks. There's no point in trying to lie, so you slowly bob your head up and down, indicating a yes.
"Didn't know he had it in him..." Thom mutters. You laugh.
"Are you two, like an item?" Thom asks awkwardly. This whole interaction reminds you of when your father interrogated you about boys you liked.
"No, we aren't. Not yet at least."
The phone rings again, you pick it up.
"....Colin knows", Jonny says through the phone.
"Knows what?"
You hear Jonny sigh on the other end.
"everything."
"Oh, that's fine, Thom knows too." You say calmly. Thom raises an eyebrow when you mention him.
"Huh? Did you tell him?" Jonny sounds concerned. You wrap the phone's cord around your finger, staring at Thom.
"Not willingly."
"Go on,"
"Thom broke into my hotel room while I was calling my mom and overheard a private conversation."
"So much for trying to keep things secret." Jonny sighs through the phone.
"Is it alright if I call you back? I have someone I need to tell off for eavesdropping." You watch Thom stiffen against the wall.
"I'll be waiting," Jonny says before hanging up.

"Y/n, I am terribly sorry, honest!" Thom throws his hands up in defense.
"I was just joking, I don't care all that much."
"I won't tell anyone else, I promise."
"You better not." You eye Thom suspiciously, double-checking that he's being truthful. Not that you doubt him, he's been nothing but sweet since you met.
"Can we still... hang out?" Thom asks politely.
"Only for a little, I've got to call someone back." You respond, hiding your eagerness to continue talking to Jonny.
"I'll take it," He responds, joining you on your bed.

———

Eventually, Thom bids you goodnight, making a show out of locking your door before leaving. You eagerly dial Jonny's room number into the room's phone. He answers almost immediately in a hushed tone.
"I thought you had fallen asleep," Jonny whispers, not wanting to startle his dozing brother.
"I was afraid you had done the same." You respond. Jonny can practically hear your smile through the phone.
"Regardless, I'm glad you called."

You both knew you'd be getting no sleep tonight.

₊ ♪ ⁺ ✩  ₊  ⁺ ♪  ₊  ⁺ ♬