Part 10

Tarak

My Kayla is strong, independent, and more than capable of self-care. Later today, she and I will leave for our first voyage aboard the Firefly, where we will not be able to access Hydra's luxuries.

That is why we must do these indulgences now. From my open hand, I offer Kayla food.

She nibbles and stops eating, scrunching her nose. "Why does that taste so strange?"

"Those are cubes of meat... Sorry, Kayla, your new vet said you need a more balanced diet."

Kayla's lips curl. My Kayla might be disgusted by her food, but she eats the entire handful of meat cubes from my palm.

"You're so good for me, pet. Have a treat," I say, offering her a replica of something called chocolate from her planet.

This treat she likes so much, she licks my palm. She's a mess now, with bits of the chocolate on her nose. I carry her into the pool, bathe, and lather the scents into her soft skin. After bathing her, I dry her off with a large, fluffy towel. I take the brush and comb her beautiful hair. The fact that my Kayla chooses to let me, a scourge with a caring kink, care for her gives my mind a pleasant buzz. 

Tucking an uncooperative strand of hair away from her face, I murmur in her ear. "Ready, pet?"

Kayla dresses and pulls out a backpack from under the bed. The instant I attach her leash to her collar, she makes the hand motion to open the door and takes off, stretching her leash to its full length. She is so enthusiastic she runs, not stopping until we get to the Firefly.

The moment Kayla steps into the helm, she says, "I still find it incredible that you own the Firefly. This ship must be the same size as my former ship, the Phoenix Borealis."

When she invokes the name of her former ship, I gag at the memory of the state I found her. The Phoenix was weak and weaponless, not even a proper ship. She and her crew nearly died of starvation aboard that ship.

"Kayla, how could you compare the Firefly to that death trap?"

She grips my hand. "I was talking about their sizes, Tarak. If I were comparing what it is like to live aboard the two ships, then the Firefly is far superior."

Superior. Her acknowledgment that I am providing for her in a way that is superior to her former life sends shudders through me, but I need more.

"Tell me, Kayla."

"Tell you what?"

"In what ways is the Firefly superior?"

"The technology and tools in the lab are far superior to anything we had aboard the Phoenix Borealis. We also have much more space on the Firefly."

"You said they were the same size."

"We had to share the Phoenix with over a hundred people, and we have this all to ourselves. You have done well, Commander Tarak," she says. 

Her awe-filled voice sends shivers through me. The Firefly is superior and I am providing for her. I want to roar, except...

"It is only the two of us aboard the Firefly now, so I am no longer a true commander. For that, I would need a... crew."

"But you could command a crew, right?" she asks, her bright green eyes gazing at my mark and me in admiration.

My atums awaken in delight at this thought. I nuzzle her, inhaling her sweet smell. "You are such a smart pet and now my atums want to play. We must celebrate. Assume a different sexual position in every room of the ship, starting at the helm."