Part 26

Rigel

I wait with the other pet owners, hoping Ava will return to me. The other scourges pet owners are debating as to what might be happening behind the closed metal door.

"What do you think is going on in there," says a scourge.

"It sounds like screaming... Or maybe a fight," says another scourge.

Can they hear through metal walls? Or are they trying to fool the non-scourge amongst them?

Waiting to find out the status of our pets is like torture.

The door opens, and the vet tech re-enters the lobby. "Come with me, Dr. Rigel."

I shuffle toward the vet tech. The other scourge pet owners walk with me; their supporting hands are on my wings, arms, and shoulders.

"I only need Dr. Rigel, not the group," says the vet tech when I reach the door.

The others stay with me, somberly walking with me through a long hallway, stopping in front of a closed door.

"Prepare yourself," says the vet tech.

The door opens. Ava is on a hospital bed, screaming. Then when I notice what looks like blood on her shirt...

My wings open, throwing the tech against the wall. There is the sound of breaking glass. "How dare you hurt her!"

"Control yourself, Dr. Rigel!"

"Sedate him!"

There is a cold prick in my arm and I'm falling.

***

Someone's soft hand holds mine. "Dr. Rigel?"

I open my eyes, wincing at the bright light. Slowly, I become aware that I am lying down on a hospital bed.

From my bedside, Delphinus says, "Everyone was worried about you."

"Everyone?" My voice sounds gravelly.

"The bird is awake now. Come in," says Delphinus, speaking at the door.

The other pet owners from the lobby—were they waiting in the hallway?—enter.

"You gave us quite a scare," says the scourge with gashes on his arms—it's Sagitta, the scourge owner of the monster in that big cage, the monster who scratched my Ava.

All of the scourges from the lobby are here, but the one I wanted to see the most is not here. I need to see her. "Ava?"

"Who?" asks Delphinus, patting my hand.

"My... pet?"

There is the thwack of a tail and the scourges exchange glances.

"What is it?" I ask.

None of the scourges answer me, although Delphinus's grip tightens.

"Please tell me. I need... Ava...my Ava..."

"Maybe someone should bring the doctor for him?"

"He's getting upset."

"Maybe we should ask them to sedate him again?"

I pull my hand out of Delphinus's. "I don't need sedation; I need to know!"

It is at that instant the doctor enters. My visitors leave.

The doctor sits on a stool next to the bed.

"Doctor, please. I need to know..." I briefly squeeze my eyes shut. Ava.