Old Station Alpha

Max was desperate but couldn't pull the cable car using the rope. She kicked the ladder across the floor in frustration. The heat in the cable car was becoming unbearable for the stranded family, who were waving frantically at Max. She turned around and looked at the massive wheel, which wound the cable around as the cars came in. Max went up to the enormous steel wheel; it was geared and had a ratchet anti-slip system. Maybe if she could push this wheel around, it would wind the car in. She grabbed one of the huge spokes with both hands and began to push. The transition of her physique began, from resting muscles to awake, every muscle tense and growing with strength and power. The mighty wheel groaned, and Max's muscles grew as her strength started to move the mighty steel wheel off the first resting ratchet and moved to the next tooth. She began to move the mighty wheel. Max got into her stride, her muscular legs adding force to her overall push. Her biceps and shoulders felt like they were going to jump out of her skin, and with her tremendous strength, she brought the heavy cable car back.

The massive steel wheel was pulling the car back in, and the thick steel rope was winding around the wheel. It was hard work and hot; sweat was running down Max's face as she continued to pull the family to safety. Max only had a few more turns of the steel wheel, and the family would be safe. It was only when Max turned around to look at the cable car and the meters upon meters of steel rope that had wound into the large steel wheel that she realised what she was doing.

"I am Supergirl," she said to herself.

The cable car came into the station. There was no power, so the doors wouldn't open.

"Give me a break," she said to herself.

Max took a few minutes to compose herself. She'd easily be able to rip open two flimsy metal doors. She walked over to the metal doors. She wasn't going to mess around and wanted to open the doors quickly. She placed her fingers in the small vertical gap, her elbows wide. Max began to separate the doors. There was no way those doors could stop her muscles. Her biceps peaked again, her shoulders rocked, and her forearms were strong. The metal near her strong grip started to crush, and the hydraulic pistons that controlled the doors started to bend. The sun reflected off the bending pistons, and the mother couldn't believe what she was seeing. She felt scared but reassured by this powerful woman.

The metal doors started to part, and Max's biceps were now forcing them against their design, bending them as she prised them apart. One of the hydraulic pistons flew out of its housing, unable to resist the pressure Max's powerful arms were applying. The bent piston fell to the floor in defeat. Max forced the doors open with her muscular arms, now folding back the metal to make a bigger gap. The mother watched Max fold those metal doors back, much like she would crush a Coca-Cola can. She was in complete awe of Max's strength and felt so weak compared to Max's strength. One of the doors fell to the floor, now totally re-formed by Max's hands.

"Oops, they don't make them like they used to," Max said. She loved seeing her strength demolish things, especially manufactured items. When she overpowered and destroyed things which were supposed to be designed to withhold pressure and tension. Since the Nano's Max strength was limitless, Max had to move on to bigger things. Max loved it. The family left the cable car to safety, and Max updated control. "Did someone go down the escape rope?" Max asked; control needed to know so they could see if the search parameters needed adjusting.

"Yes, my husband, he said he'd trek to the next station and get help," asked the woman.

"Wait, didn't he?"

"He's probably heading to old station Alpha...We don't have time for this now. Wait here; you'll be picked up shortly." Max interrupted.  She needed to be quick in case he was in need of medical assistance.

Max put her shirt and belt on and set off towards the old ranger station alpha checkpoint. This station was no longer used, but it was the focal point a few decades ago when there was a media frenzy about the Sasquatch.

Max rode as hard as her electric steed would allow, utilising her police driver training. Max decided to follow the most likely path which would be taken. She was hoping that the missing man had stuck to the track. Max was getting nearer and could see the retired checkpoint. The cabin looked tired. All cabins used to have radios, but Max was unsure if it worked or had been removed. Max pulled up and got off the e-bike. She walked over to the ranger station, calling out all the time, hoping that the missing man was nearby and would hear her call. There was no reply. Max went up to the door; it was stuck, so she carefully pushed a little bit, opening it slightly before something stopped the door opening any further. Max found this a bit strange. Why would someone move furniture to block the door, especially when they were trying to be rescued?
Max could only just see into the cabin, but there were no signs of life.

Max tried shouting again, but there was still no reply. Max needed to open the door further. Max put a bit more muscle into it, using her powerful shoulders, and she barged the door open. Whatever stopped the door from opening on the other side was shoved out of the way, screeching as it moved across the floor. Max's strength moved whatever was behind the door. She looked in.

"Hello," said Kelly, fearing the worst.

"Shhhh" came a reply.

"Who's there?"

"Shhh, get in quickly," said a male voice.

Max wondered what all the fuss was about—was the man having a breakdown? Was he a different man from the one she was looking for?

"How did you get in...He couldn't?"  said the man.

"What are you on about?" Max thought he was delirious, maybe an injury.

"He couldn't get in, but you could?" How?"  repeated the man, more desperately this time.

"Look, it's nothing; I work out. What the heck
is going on?" Max was getting concerned for the male.

"I came here for help; there's no radio, and I've been stuck here," explained the male.

"Okay, but why did you barricade yourself in?" questioned Max

He didn't reply.

"Sir, your family is safe! But I need to confirm, you from the cable car?" asked Max

"Yes, I am. Thank goodness my family are safe!"

The man was grateful but soon started acting strangely. As soon as Max stopped speaking, he began to slowly move the furniture back and block the door, unable to match Max's strength. It took him a lot more effort.

"What are you doing?" Max couldn't understand what was going on; she thought he had a head injury or medical episode.

"It's to stop him from getting in," said the man.

"Well, he could just smash a window," replied Max. "Why is it a he?" "Are you talking about a bear?"

"I hadn't thought of that," said the man. He started to look around the cabin nervously.

He then started to explain that he wasn't sure what he saw, but he knew he saw something; maybe it was a bear. He started to explain that he was chased soon after climbing down the rope ladder. He walked for about a mile on the trail and had a feeling he was being watched, that something was following him. As he approached the old ranger station, something broke cover and chased him. The male had been in the ranger station ever since, claiming that whatever it was came back.

Suddenly, there was a noise outside. Max, being braver than the male, looked outside; her e-bike had fallen over, or was it pushed? Max couldn't remember if she put a stand shield down, so she dismissed it.

"Watch out!" shouted the man.

Max turned, and as she spun around, she saw black fur, and it was towering over her. There was no way this was a black bear, as it was too thin. In the blink of an eye, Max pushed whatever it was back. The unknown creature stumbled back a good few meters from the power of her push; it was around 6 feet 7 or so. Max quickly ushered the missing man back into the ranger station.