Operation Cover-Up

There were no further roars or rustlings in the dense undergrowth. The group was silent. Max dropped the car door; she was exhausted. One by one, the group slowly came out of cover, making their way over to Max, who sat on the floor. She had a few scratches and small amounts of blood on her, but she was okay.

"Get her some water," said Jules.

Chris put his camera down and went back to the Toyota. He grabbed some water, fruit, and cereal bars.

"Ranger, are you okay?" Asked Eric

Everyone was still in shock from what they'd just seen. From a woman pushing back a moving car to ripping its door off, and then a real-life Sasquatch being defeated by a woman.

"Yeah, I'm okay," replied Max, between getting her breath back and sipping water. She got to her feet.

"I've got a spare T-shirt," said Chris.

During the fight, Max's t-shirt had become ripped. Her biceps were showing more than usual. Max felt like Rambo, but she was stronger.

"Thanks; I don't normally have my muscles on display. I get too many rude comments or creeps staring," she smiled.

"You'll be famous now," said Chris.

"Give me the tape!" commanded Max.

Chris complied; he wouldn't argue with Max, and her voice let Chris know she was serious. Anyway, he owed Max his life and respected her. He passed over the tape. Holding the tape in her hand, she tightened her grip. Her bicep was flexing as the tape plastic started to creak and strain. She was crushing the videotape in her powerful grip, her forearms peaking with power as small pieces of plastic fell from her grip.

"I don't want the fame; Sasquatch Forest doesn't need it, and once you release that footage, you'll be haunted by it forever." "It will consume your life, like it did with your dad," said Max.

"Yeah, but we found it; he didn't," said Chris.

Max's radio sparked into life and updated with an ETA to the location, thirty minutes.

Max remembered that they were doing this all for Peter. She stopped and pondered for a short while.

"You have some spare tapes, right?" She asked Chris

"Yes, I do," he replied.

"Okay, we have just enough time. Grab the camera and leave the tape running, filming from the ground into the forest. Leave a rucksack hidden but with a small piece showing. Guarantee someone will spot that and call the hoax. Adam can walk past, and it will be enough distant footage to keep the divides happy and give Peter what he needs to see!" Said Max

"The divides?"

"Those that believe and those that don't," she replied.

"I like it," said Chris.

"You three need to sort things out with Eric; you left him scared for his life while his family were stuck in a cable car," instructed Max.

"My family is okay, and honestly, it's like I've been in a movie." It's been a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm not angry or scared anymore. Max, you are so brave, much better than Ice. I can't be like you, but you inspire me," said Eric, giving quite a speech. Still, it was better than the jokes he made earlier.

"Ok, I'll google Ice later" Mac figured out her acceptance would shut him up. Nice guy, though.

"My boy loves film and wants to study. You guys help him, teach him, and make the youth group. I support a promotional video and a fundraising video, and we will say no more," said Eric.

"Thank you, sir; we'd love to do that. And we apologise again; we didn't mean to scare you. I think we got so caught up in trying to get what we thought our dad would want to see," explained Chris.

"How will you explain the old ranger station and my Toyota?" asked Jules.

"You guys like jigsaws?" I'll need your help.

They went over to the Toyota, fully aware of Max's strength, and they all helped. Max was pulling at the front, and the rest of the group was pushing from the rear. She thought it was sweet of them but knew she was still doing 90% of the manual work as they dragged the Toyota to the ranger station and pushed it into the porch. The snapped wood was found and put roughly where they thought it would have impacted. Max provided the new dent and damage to the Toyota. Kelly also managed to bend one of the hinges back into position and attach the door, so it looks like the door also fell off after the impact; after all, it was a rust bucket. Chris was busy finding the best spot so Adam could earn his Oscar for walking through the shot. His face and stomach still hurt!

Max got on her radio, advising that she had completed the checks on the missing man. It was perfect timing as a helicopter flew overhead. She also advised that a truck had come off the old access route; there were no injuries, but the truck had died of engine failure. That was it. It was all tied up.

"Ranger 21... This is Eagle Seven Zero. Oscar  Papa, we just noticed a tent out of the camping zone. Can you move on? I'll send the coordinates to your radio. Good find.  We are resuming back to base."

"All received 7-0."

"Stay here, guys; a Ranger truck is 20 minutes away," informed Max.

She went off to the tent just out of the camping zone. It was about a five-minute walk. She passed lots of funny globes with lenses all over them. As she got nearer, she recognised the car. There was a scream! A little girl came running over.

"It's Ranger Super Woman," said the young girl's voice as she jumped into Kelly's arms and hugged her.

Now, it made sense. This was the guy's car she lifted at the start of his shift. The awkward boy with the attitude came over, but he seemed to already be more friendly. His views about women had changed, especially women with muscles. He fist-bumped Max.

"Yo, it's the goat."

Max smiled and fist-bumped while still cuddling the little girl.

"So where's your dad?" asked Max.

"Oh, he's out hunting," said the young lad.

"Hunting what?"  Quizzed Kelly

"A Sasquatch," said the girl.

"Sorry...a what?" Max nearly choked!

"It's like a big monkey man thing, Sasquatch ".

Max quickly changed the subject...

"What are those sphere things?"

"Oh, they are Dad's 360 motion tracking cameras; he's really into tech," explained the young lad.

With almost perfect timing, the father returned.

"Daddy, it's Super Ranger Kelly!" she shouted.

"Oh, hi Max, yes indeed, you are a superwoman; gosh, you lifted my car." "I struggle with these camera bags one at a time. Hey, guess what?"

"What Daddy?"

"I think I got the Sasquatch on film... near the old ranger station."

Oh boy! Said Max under her breath

Was this Adam...or the real deal? And did he get Max the ranger in action?