CHAPTER 12: Stick Around Dreamer

The moment the missiles hit the CURE dome, Zantas almost lost control. The shock wave was so strong that entire trees were uprooted from the ground, the ground shook, and birds were dragged through the air for miles and miles. When the explosions ceased, a giant dark crater stretched in place of the Night Sky Jungle. The flying sign, taking refuge behind the cliff dividing the land from the sea, held the two girls tightly with all its strength. The shock wave dissipated over the horizon. 

The three descended to the sandy shoreline as the sun began to rise in and out of them. The black stars disappeared with the white night sky, the last night they would see in that world. 

Gaia sat on the tip of a large rock on the shore, and together with Aries, who joined her soon after, told Zantas how they had managed to escape and, more importantly, what the administrator's plan was. Then he explained how the monkeys had redirected the missile platforms, only to disappear again into the vegetation. Then, the two told Aries what they had done after greeting her at the village in the woods, and she described how she had ended up a prisoner of the organization. As their voices recounted a thousand adventures, the waves caressed the pale, warm sand under the ancient and, by now, emerald green gaze of the jungle. 

By the time the sky was tinged with the rosy colors of day, everything had been made clear. Aries sat cross-legged. The administrator had said it, too: this was the end. She knew that those she was talking to, her fellow adventurer, would leave. Although something deep inside told her that this would not be the last time they would see each other. 

Perhaps in another life?

°Aries, it is time for you to go home,° Zantas said when he saw her deep in thought. Flying toucans passed overhead and emitted a deep cry. Gaia made a retort, but restrained herself.

"Yes...I think it's time." The girl rose to her feet and wiped her red skirt with her hands. She turned one last glance at Deep Reality, wondering if one distant day she would consider all that just another dream. Whatever she would find when she returned, she was ready. Gaia stood up and looked into each other's eyes. Both had them glazed over.

"Is this goodbye?" she asked her.

"I think...I think so."

"Gaia, I wanted to say thank you for...everything. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you. And you have been a true friend, really." The white-haired girl wiped her tears with her hand.

"You're welcome, Aries. You've been like a sister to me...I've never had anything like that before. I hope you live a good life up there. These people believed you would make a difference, and I believe you will, eventually." They held each other in one last desperate embrace, wetting each other's shoulders.

"I will never forget you," she whispered in her ear. And the embrace grew even stronger. Then Zantas came close, and the girl hugged him too; two affectionate bands of white light appeared on her back to reciprocate. After that, Aries held on tightly to the flying sign and soared into the air. As the world grew farther and farther away, she saw Gaia waving to her; she waved her free arm so fiercely that she thought it would come off. One last tear broke from her cheek and fell like a raindrop into the ocean of Deep Reality. Then, Aries Dreamer went home.

*******

Aries awoke in a hospital bed. To the general surprise of the nurses on the ward, it was explained to her that three days earlier a neighbor had found her unconscious in her apartment. She had remained in the hospital ever since. Her mother's partner had been traced from the license plate of the car as he was trying to lose his trail in a nearby town and had been taken to jail. From what they had heard, he would remain there for the rest of his life.

Once released from the hospital, Aries had continued her studies until she earned a degree in science and political economy. She quickly climbed the social pyramid to become governor first of her city, and then, after gaining some fame as an innovator, of the entire nation. Under her long rule, the country's crime rate fell by 70 percent. The general opinion was that "with Aries in power, we can sleep soundly." She took action against the environmental degradation that had been carried on up to that point, and increased the purchasing power of even the poorest. 

After a long and happy life, she died at her home at the age of 82. Her funeral was attended by three-quarters of the nation's population, and in all neighboring countries it was declared a day of celebration. In the centuries to come, Aries's name was remembered as that of a true dreamer, a woman with a special idea of an "ideal world" in mind. Throughout her life, she never spoke to anyone about Deep Reality, but, as she had promised on the beach of the Night Sky Jungle, she never forgot either Gaia or Zantas. And, with her, also died the memory of an adventure in the twilight zone. Many dreams of future generations were possible because of her.

In the world on the other side of the sky, the plan of the administrator of Department N of CURE and the cause of its demise was revealed. A technical problem of an unknown nature was blamed for the destruction of more than forty of the globe's highest public officials. 

Director Iatros was accused of complicity and led behind bars. It was a blow to the reputation of the world's most important organization, but thanks to the hard work of many good people, it deserved its name again in a few years. 

The diabolical Department N was closed forever. Not least because, for a reason no one could explain, the nightmares had diminished incredibly. The children said they had disappeared after they started dreaming of a tall lady with long orange hair and a red dress; they were just children: who knew if they were making it all up?

Both Deep and Superficial Reality experienced a golden age that lasted many, many years. And the only ones who knew why were a girl with white hair and a flying sign.

But, again, who would have believed such a thing?

Maybe just a dreamer.