𝟏.𝟎𝟑

𝐋𝐄𝐀 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐓𝐎 topple Frank over, but the younger boy ended up sprawled across the ground. The mud under their foot clung to his jeans, purple shirt and denim jacket. It didn't help his case that his hands were coated in grease from cleaning weapons.

"I am so sorry!" The blonde began fussing over Frank, who looked incredibly embarrassed but didn't stop her.

"I'm fine," Frank mumbled, climbing to his feet. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

Lea shook her head. Her eyes looked like they were turning into glowsticks again. "Don't be ridiculous, I should've been more careful."

Frank let a half-smile tug at his lips. He was quite fond of Lea; she treated him better than anyone else in camp. The past six weeks had been the longest of his life and it felt like Lea could sense that. The younger boy honestly enjoyed having her fuss about him, it made him feel safe — even if she was only a year his senior.

"Reyna told me to go and rescue Percy from Octavian..." Frank trailed off, jerking his thumb into the distance. He couldn't help but notice the way Lea's eyes glazed over when he said the Praetor's name. "Do you want to come with me?"

"Of course!"

On the way out of camp, Lea bought them a hot chocolate and a cookie from Bombilo, the two-headed coffee merchant. The two demigods didn't speak, instead choosing to walk in comfortable silence.

"Have they been helping?" Lea broke the silence. Her voice was softer than usual and her eyes scanned Frank's face for any hint of emotion.

Therapists weren't really Camp Jupiter's style. The Romans preferred a suck it up, you'll be fine mindset, unfortunately for both Lea and Frank. While gods were few and far between in camp, Lea had somehow convinced her dad to answer her prayers. Twice a month the two demigods were granted permission to leave the valley and across into Berkley. An all-expenses-paid vacation to a psychiatrist's office for an hour each awaited them. Beggers can't be choosers and they were grateful for what they got. The pharmacy in New Rome filled their prescriptions each month leaving them one pill less mentally in a hole.

The Asian boy shrugged. "Well, I haven't thrown myself in front of Hannibal yet."

"I'm taking that as a win." Lea nudged Frank with her elbow, making him chuckle. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Lea," Frank nudged the girl back.

He hesitated as they walked outside the main gates. The fort was situated on the highest point in the valley so they could see pretty much everything. The road led down to the river and divided. One path led south across a bridge, up to the hill with all the temples. The other road led north into the city, a miniature version of Ancient Rome. Unlike the military camp, the city looked chaotic and colourful, with buildings crowded together at haphazard angles. Even from this far away, they could see people gathered in the plaza, shoppers milling around an open-air market, and parents with kids playing in the parks.

"You still planning on abandoning me?" His tone was playful but hid a bubbling uncertainty.

Lea stared over the valley with a sad look in her eyes. "I was never going to abandon you! I was planning on leaving before you even arrived here but I'm still here, amn't I?"

"Maybe you were just waiting for the best time to leave, I mean St Louis is a good distance away." Frank bit into his chocolate cookie as they started moving again. "Not that I want you to leave, I like you."

"Nice save." The blonde chuckled, sipping her drink. "I'm not gonna leave until you're ready," she mumbled the last part under her breath so Frank couldn't hear her.