𝟏.𝟏𝟏

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 surprised to see the black-haired son of Neptune leaning against the Senate building, waiting for her.

A wave of embarrassment rushed through her veins and she couldn't help but feel like it was his fault. She had never been so blatantly disrespectful before. Before Percy had arrived she had stayed quiet, she didn't like to rock the boat. There was just something about him, something that made the hairs on her arms stand on edge; something that made her feel deathly alive.

It was just a coincidence that the adrenaline rush that came with standing up to a system she had succumbed to for so long had engulfed her when he stumbled across the river; it was a coincidence.

"Hey," he smiled, pushing himself off of the marble wall. "That was intimidating."

Lea shrugged. "You get used to it." Her brain screamed at her to run away from him. Logic told her to find Frank and cower behind him like he was a bush. For once, she ignored her brain. "You had such a way with words. Uh... Um... What?" she mimicked with a chuckle.

He held his hands up defensively. "Not all of us are as eloquent as calling someone a stuffed animal. Please forgive me."

"Actually, I said I wasn't gonna call him a stuffed animal, and I'll forgive you this time. Only because I think your little brain hurt itself figuring out eloquent."

"How on earth does Frank spend so much time with you and still have self-esteem?"

"Because, dear sir, I actually like Frank. He isn't annoying."

Percy scoffed, shooting her an indignant look. "Are you saying you don't like me? It's all meant nothing to you?"

"Yes, the past 24 hours have been very hard to set aside."

Seeing the golden-haired girl reach his side, Frank instinctively reached out and squeezed her wrist. "That went well." He mumbled, scanning the older girl's face for reassurance.

Hazel picked up a large emerald from the path and slipped it into her pocket. "So... we're pretty much toast?"

Frank nodded miserably. "If any of you wants to back out, I wouldn't blame you."

"Are you kidding?" Hazel said. "And pull sentry duty for the rest of the week?"

Frank managed a smile. He turned to Percy. Percy gazed across the forum. Lea swore she could hear the clogs turning in his brain from where she stood next to him. It took him a minute, but when he replied, he did so with a confident grin. "I'm with you," he told Frank. "Besides, I want to check out the Roman navy."

Frank couldn't bring himself to look over at Lea. The girl took his hand in hers and squeezed. "This isn't my first rodeo. Someone on this quest needs to have a brain."

In a normal circumstance, Frank would've argued with her about that comment, but this wasn't normal. This was life and death.

They were only halfway across the forum when some called, "Jackson!"

Lea turned and saw Octavian jogging toward them. The two Centurions exchanged a curt nod of respect before Lea returned to scowling at him. "Octavian." She greeted dryly. "Missed me already?"

"You think too highly of yourself, Achillea."

"What do you want?" Percy asked.

Octavian smiled slyly. "Already decided I'm your enemy? That's a rash choice, Percy. I'm a loyal Roman."

Frank snarled. "You backstabbing, slimy—" Both Percy and Hazel had to restrain him. Lea simply took a step back. She mumbled something about it being inappropriate, that he shouldn't fight Octavian. There was no emphasis or volume in her words. She made no real attempt to stop the boy from attacking her fellow Centurian; something that was sorely noted by the demigod in question.