Chapter 26: Cards of Fate

---

"My advice is, never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time."

— Charles Dickens, (David Copperfield)

---

"Today I am going to teach you both a special technique that only a very few martial artists in the entire world are privy to. It was a technique that my own master taught me when I was young. At first, I wasn't sure if you three were worthy of learning it but seeing as how you have mastered everything I had taught you till now, I am positive that I am making the right decision to teach this to you." Richard said with a nostalgic expression on his face.

Richard had truly been confused for the last few months if he should teach them the most powerful martial technique in his arsenal, the use of chi or not. But after seeing their 'legendary genius' level talent, he had accepted that not teaching them just because of a few worries in his mind about their future would be the biggest mistake in his life.

"He is probably just talking about those flying kicks he showed earlier. I still think he was using hidden springs under his feet for that trick." Vicki whispered to Bruce and Selina.

"Shh." Selina shushed her.

Helena had already left for her uncle's house in Italy about two days ago after Bruce's birthday celebration. But even though they missed their friend, Helena, they still didn't halt their training for even a single day. They were determined to learn everything they could within the limited timeframe they had.

"I didn't use springs in my shoes Vicki. What you saw that day during training was also a small function of chi. Chi is the very life force flowing within us just like it flows through every living organism on the planet. It is the spiritual energy that connects our souls to our bodies. It has been called a lot of names in different civilizations. Chi, Qi, Ki, Chakra. They are all the same." Richard began teaching.

"So, it's magic?" Selina asked disbelief written on her face.

"No, it isn't exactly magic. It's a mystique art but not proper magic. Instead, it is the flow of one's life force. We don't learn how to control it but simply how to direct it. As long as we can control its flow, we can do a lot of impossible things with it." Richard explained as suddenly a calm slightly golden aura began to flow around him.

"The fundamental process of using chi is not to implement force but to simply remain calm and meditate to combine yourself with nature to augment your chi." He said as he raised his arm while breathing slowly, approaching the dojo wall with his raised arm and lightly punched it.

The moment his arm touched the wall, the flawless wall caved in, and huge spider web-shaped cracks developed on it looking like it was punched by a monster.

"That's amazing. How is that even possible? Did your chi increase your strength?" Vicki asked not believing what she was currently seeing.

"Not really, Chi doesn't magically increase your strength per se. Instead, it influences your muscles and forces them to act to their full extent and its energy might also affect the target and try to destroy it from within. That's why a person with chi is ten times more dangerous than another person with the same physical abilities but without chi." Richard said as he pointed at his handwork on the wall.

"So, does anyone can use chi?" Bruce asked the question which has been plaguing his mind for a while now.

"Yep, as long as the person is alive and has a soul, he or she will be able to learn to use chi," Richard answered. "Now let's see which one of you can learn chi the fastest. It's quite different than the other martial arts techniques I have taught you till now. While those mostly depended on your physical abilities, this one depends on your state of mind and tranquility of soul."