4 || trouble

He carried the files and arrived back into his room

"...Hah! This asshole."

The sealed document was a dupe. It had nothing of importance and was only used as bait for the real documents. It turns out that the weird ragged book found hidden in the storage room was the actual files, the evidence of the things Venion was hiding. Neo took it with him last minute only because he felt a faint trace of magic on it.

'Sloppy job. Try harder next time.' Neo scoffed, then proceeded to read the book.

Cheonji knew something was wrong when Venion asked Neo to stay quiet and not act, but he didn't expect something like this. This must have been why the Tolls Family has never been able to have the same wealth as the Henituse family though they are separated by a single mountain. Venion had been manipulating people belonging to the financial sector to steal the family's funds while simultaneously entraping the Tolls Family in the belief that the Sten family was supporting them with a fraction of the money that truly belonged to themselves.

He did everything discreetly. He couldn't tell anyone, not Dante, not the Viscount, or his brother, with the chances of their loose lips babbling to anyone.

He'll do this alone.

Dante hesitantly knocked on the door to Neo's door. "My Lord? I'm really sorry to disturb you at this time of the night, but a few soldiers from the Sten Family are requesting for you..."

'Have they already gotten this far?'

"Didn't I tell you not to bother me no matter what?" Neo said, placing the papers within a crack in the floor he created, and swiftly changing into his nightgown.

"Yes, but they said it's urgent... I hope you will forgive me, My lord."

"No matter. It's not your fault." Neo swung open the door. "Lead me to them."

"Where is he? Dammit, call him down!"

"Why are you speaking so impudently? It's the middle of the night, and you dare yell." Neo appeared, descending from the staircases with crossed arms.

"Ah, no, it's not like that... There was an Intruder in Sir Venion's villa, and we wanted to ask if Sir Neo knows about anything of the sort, as you're staying here—"

"Are you asking whether I'm an accomplice or not?" Neo smiled coldly, effectively scaring the guards.

"No! That isn't it, Sir Neo. We are just..."

"I'll give you an answer. No, I don't know anything. I didn't even leave this inn, and there are witnesses to give you statements. Now leave. I want to rest."

"Y-yes sir!"