5 || gathering

Trudging along, Neo sighed and sat himself down in the cart

Today was the day he was heading off to the royal capital. He rejected the people that the Viscount wanted him to bring, and only took Dante along. Dressed in a sage green coat, white collar shirt and pants, his appearance was approved by his butler before they set off.

"Are you sure you want to bring the bird with you, My Lord?"

The blue jay Neo had saved a couple of days ago has fully healed due to a healing potion he bought, and is now nested on the top of his head.

"It's not like I could tell him to get off. He has a strange obsession with my hair..."

The bird fluffed up and bobbed its head, chattering in agreement.

"That's reasonable." Dante nodded as if he understood the bird. Neo just stared at him, deadpanned. "Haha. I'll start the carriage now, so please sit tight."

-

They arrived in the village Neo reconstructed as he asked to rest here. Stepping out of the carriage, Dante couldn't help but notice his full arms.

"My Lord, if I may ask... Where did they come from?"

Neo sighed and put the bundle of sticks and flowers down by a tree stump. The perpetrator was, of course, the blue jay on top of his head, calling with glee.

"Who else? This bird has managed to fetch so many things in an afternoon." Neo dug into his pockets, showing Dante the nuts and seeds it collected. "Even tried to feed me."

"Haha. Maybe it's showing its appreciation?"

The bird called even louder, nodding its head.

"Haah... Right. Let's go settle down."

"As you wish."

As they walked towards the inn, the villagers started crowding around him, passing gifts to him and thanking him for his deeds. They were mostly things like produce that they grew themselves, or a product of their skills.

The blue jay furiously bobbed his head while making an alarm call, scaring the people.

"What are you freaking out for? It's not like they're handing me poison. Hush up, you're hurting my ears." Neo scolded as he moved all the things he got upstairs, and the bird immediately closed its beak and hid in Neo's hair. It didn't make another sound.