Chapter Eleven

A ray of sunlight crept across Zoe's face gently rousing her with its warm caress. She opened her eyes and instantly sat up cursing. It had to be nine o'clock by now and the only ferry to Naxos had left at seven. She took a deep breath, it looked like today had to be the day, no more putting it off, no more distractions. It was time to begin the search for Costas. The caterpillars which had been gnawing at her stomach lining since she'd set foot on this island began morphing into butterflies. Was she ready to find him? The possibility was fast becoming a probability and she still couldn't answer that question. Where should she start? She picked up her Mother's letter and the photograph. She could ask a few people if they recognised anyone, it might give her some leads.
She sent emails to Sandra and her Father telling them it would be another day before she had a phone, then put on a light sundress and sandals, grabbed a hat and shades and went down for breakfast.

"Kalimera Zoe," Eleni greeted her cheerfully.
"Kalimera," Zoe was surprised and concerned to find Eleni still there. "Eleni, you work too hard."
"I do," Eleni sighed. "But I get plenty rest in the winter months."
"That's something I suppose," Zoe said as she kissed her cheek. "Eleni, would it be possible to keep the room until Friday morning?"
"No problem, is yours till Saturday."
"Wonderful, I'd like to pay now and get that out of the way if I can."
"Ochi, no, everything is paid," Eleni said emphatically.
"What, who, how is that possible?"
"Stavros paid, to thank you for help with the wedding photographs."
"Oh no, really, he shouldn't have done that."
"He say he want to, it is insult to him if you don't accept."
"Well in that case, will you, please, thank him for me?"
"Is we must thank you." Eleni said giving her a kiss on both cheeks. "Now, I get you some breakfast, endaksi."

As Eleni was clearing away the plates from yet another stupendous breakfast, Zoe took out the photograph.
"Eleni, can I ask you something?" she began trying to keep her voice steady. "My mother visited Linos years ago and made some friends. I was wondering if you recognised anybody."
"Let me see," Eleni said as she pulled out a chair and sat beside Zoe. "This was the reason you visited our little island. When was she here?" she asked as she studied the photo.
"They were here about twenty-seven years ago. They stayed at the Hotel Aphrodite." Was it possible that Costas still worked there? "I've always wanted to come after listening to my mother and her friends describe the island,"
"Ah, before she had you. Which one is your Mother?"
"She's in the middle with the red hair."
"She is lovely." Eleni looked at Zoe.
Zoe could see Eleni thought that they didn't look much alike.
"She died two years ago," Zoe said quietly.
Eleni squeezed her hand. "I'm sorry, agapi mou."
"Thank you. So do you have any idea who some of these people may be?"
"Let me see, that boy there," Eleni pointed to the one standing next to Becky. "He looks like Manolis, but maybe is just the moustache. You need to ask someone older, who might remember more than me. I was just a child then. I ask Antoni," she said as she walked toward the kitchen.
Zoe saw Antoni nod and say a name. Her heart was pounding as Eleni came back with a smile on her face.
"He say is Manolis. He lives on the outskirts of the village," she gave the photo back to Zoe.
"If you go down the main road from the harbour, then ask anyone, they show you his house."
Zoe picked up her camera bag and slung it over her shoulder. "Thank you Eleni, I'll do that. See you later," she said as she scanned the harbour one more time. There was still no sign of Leo's boat, she wished that fact didn't make her feel so dejected.
After a big sigh, she mentally picked herself up, at least she had a lead, maybe this wouldn't be so difficult after all.
Those butterflies were beating their wings. What if this were a solid lead? What if she found Manolis and he said, 'Yes, I know Costas, he lives a few doors down with his wife and five children.' What would she do then?
She decided to take the long route, explore a little of the village, after all she had plenty of time. She wandered through the narrow lanes lined with overflowing shops and whitewashed houses. Quaint doorways framed with colourful bougainvillaea and fragrant jasmine were the norm as were the tiny windows trimmed with bright-blue shutters and lace curtains. Tubs of geraniums vied for space on the sun warmed step with the stray cats which gave her laconic stares as she passed.