XVIII. THORN IN THE FLESH

✯      ✯      ✯

      ✯      ✯

      The morning classes were painfully slow for Antares. He found himself mechanically nodding along with Flitwick's review of the previous year, his mind wandering more often than not. While he would consider himself an adept in the subject, his interest only lay in dark charms.

No, he was more focused on figuring out how to keep Harry out of Umbridge's clutches. Antares' ward had been less than willing to share that he earned a week of detention with the woman. He doubted Umbridge would let him off with a warning, and Antares couldn't just march up to her and demand to have the detention revoked. There was nothing he could do about it.

On the bright side, he and Harry had come to an understanding. While Antares would be more proactive in his duties, Harry promised to keep his head down and improve his temper and studies. It took some convincing for him to try harder in Potions, but Antares knew how to sweeten the deal. For each perfect potion that Harry brewed in class, Antares promised to teach him a new hex.

As the day progressed, Antares found himself stopped by a familiar face with dark blonde hair.

"Ares!" called a joyful voice.

"Ernie," the older boy smiled. "How is fifth-year treating you?"

Antares had known Ernie Macmillan for years. The two had constant run-ins, thanks to Vita. In a way, Antares saw Ernie as an annoying little brother. You know the one: the kind who would always seek your attention and never be too far behind no matter where you were. One thing Antares did approve of was Ernie's pride in his pure-blood heritage. Ernie never had to boast about it, but more importantly, he never chose to hold it over others.

The Hufflepuff gave a bashful grin. It was far from the confident one of his sister, but the dimples were the same.

"It's proving to be quite the challenge," he admitted before puffing his chest. "But I did manage to make Prefect along with Hannah."

"Hmm, Vita did mention that. It's well deserved, I hear," Antares said. "Give my congratulations to Hannah, would you?"

"Certainly," Ernie nodded. "Actually, Ares, I wanted your opinion on something."

Antares raised an eyebrow, his curiosity piqued. "Of course, Ernie. What's on your mind?"

Ernie, ever the straightforward one, didn't hesitate to ask, "I want to know where you stand in regards to Harry and You-Know-Who."

"What makes you think I stand anywhere?" Antares fired back, his brows furrowing. "By the of the year, I'll be out of the country."

"Eleanor Branstone. I overheard her telling some of the other badgers that you helped her during Study Hall," the Hufflepuff smirked haughtily. "She also said that you and Harry were arguing about something."