Chapter 2

The one thing I will say for California is that everyone here is so good-looking. On the one side, it sucks because it will only make my scars stand out more when everyone around me looks so perfect all the time. On the other hand, though, I enjoy spending time with cute guys just as much as the next girl, and my entire new rehabilitation team is gorgeous. This is nice because it makes all the time I have to spend with each of them so much more pleasant.

My dietician and my nurse are both hot guys in their thirties. My dietician is also a part-time personal trainer. I've never been much of an exerciser, but the guy makes me want to join a gym. My physical therapist is only twenty-eight and is downright mouthwatering. He seriously looks like he belongs on TV and not in my living room, forcing me to exercise until I feel like crying. Physical therapy these past two weeks has been something I almost look forward to. Almost.

I gasped at an unexpected surge of pain and held my breath so that I wouldn't cry out.

"Come on, Ella, just one more. I know you can do it. All the way to your shoes this time."

I wanted to cry, but I did one more toe touch because Daniel smiled at me with so much confidence that I couldn't let him down. And I swear he batted his eyelashes. I pushed my fingers toward the floor, stretching my new skin in some of the tightest places. I knew physical therapy was supposed to be hard—it takes the phrase "no pain, no gain" literally—but I just couldn't make my fingers reach my shoes. My whole body was burning. Tears pricked my eyes and I stood back up. "I'm sorry. I can't. I feel like my body is going to rip open any second."

Daniel frowned—not in frustration or disappointment, but out of concern for me. The action was swoonworthy. "You reached your shoes once on Monday. Are you doing your exercises every day like we talked about?"

"Yes, but I think my skin hates the California air. It's been irritating me all week."

"Let me see," Daniel demanded. I pulled up my shirt a little so he could inspect my back, and lifted my pant legs for him to get a good look behind my knees. "Why didn't you say something sooner? I shouldn't have been pushing you so hard. You're not scratching, right?"

"I'm trying not to."

"And sun exposure? No sunbathing on the back patio? No trips to the beach?"

"Yeah," I scoffed. "Parading around in public in a swimsuit is on the top of my to-do list. I haven't even left the house once since I got here. I'm practically a vampire now."

Daniel stopped inspecting my skin and frowned again. This time I was in trouble. "First of all, the beach is amazing and you'd love it. Next summer when your skin is stronger, I'll take you there myself." Delicious Daniel, in nothing but a pair of swim shorts? That would almost be worth the stares. "And second, when is your nurse coming?"

"Not until Monday."

"That's not soon enough. You're way too dry. Your skin's still adjusting to the climate change. Cali's a lot drier than the East Coast."

"My hair would agree with you."

Daniel laughed and began rummaging through his backpack, seemingly on a mission. "Aha! I do have some with me." He pulled out a bottle of mineral oil and grinned. "Go change and I'll give you a rub down. Your mom has a massage table, right? I thought she said that last time I was here."

I didn't realize I'd frozen until the playful smile on Daniel's face fell.

"She's not my mom," I said, though that wasn't what had my stomach suddenly tied in knots. "And yes, she has one, but you don't have to do that. I'm sure I'll be fine until Monday."