Chapter 6

I did it. I e-mailed Cinder. And less than five minutes later, I got a reply. The second I read his e-mail, my entire body relaxed. I was just so relieved. It was Cinder! I'd spoken to Cinder! He sounded the same as he always had, and he seemed eager to talk to me. Maybe I did have one friend left in the world.

A small piece of my dead heart came back to life, and I took what felt like my first real breath since the accident. My hands shook with anticipation as I logged into my instant messenger and waited. My stomach was a mixture of all kinds of butterflies—nervous, excited, fearful, happy...

The minutes ticked on. Ten minutes passed, then fifteen, and finally twenty. I thought I would go insane. I thought I would reach through the computer and strangle him for taking too long if he made me wait another minute. And then he was there.

Cinder458: So sorry. It took me longer to get home than I thought it would.

EllaTheRealHero: Home? You left your friend? You didn't have to do that.

Cinder458: Are you kidding? Ella, I thought you were dead.

EllaTheRealHero: Are you serious?

My heart dropped into my stomach. He thought I was dead? I wondered if all my friends back home thought that, too. I wondered if I should let them know I wasn't. I didn't think I could handle the questions.

Cinder458: What was I supposed to think? You disappeared mid-conversation! I wrote you a million e-mails. I checked your blog and your Twitter every day for months. I couldn't think of any other reason that you would just suddenly stop blogging.

I know you can't actually hear emotion in an e-mail, but Cinder sounded so upset. I felt awful that he had to go through all that. I know if the shoe had been on the other foot, I'd have been crazy with worry.

EllaTheRealHero: I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have let you worry like that for so long.

Cinder458: Don't apologize to me, Ellamara. You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm just glad you're okay. I still can't believe I'm talking to you. I nearly fell out of my chair when I got your e-mail.

Cinder458: My date thought I was insane, by the way. Definitely not getting any from her now, and she's really hot. Totally your fault.

For a second, I burst into laughter. He was the same old Cinder. Then I realized what he said, and my heart skipped another beat.

EllaTheRealHero: You were on a date???? Cinder! I can't believe you ditched her. What a jerk.

Cinder458: Eh, she was too high maintenance, anyway.

EllaTheRealHero: Cinder!!!

Cinder458: Get over it, woman. It was a stupid date. You were more important. That e-mail almost made me cry. Effing tears, Ella! Why are we even talking about me? I can't imagine what you've been through. I know how close you were with your mom. And you had to move in with your dad? You haven't seen him in years!!! How are you? Is there anything I can do? You want me to fly out there and steal you away from him? Or at least punch him in the face? I can't believe he got rid of your books.

Already the world seemed brighter. Life wasn't nearly as bad as it had been half an hour ago. My overwhelming loneliness was gone. There wasn't really a light at the end of the tunnel yet, but at least I wasn't in the dark by myself anymore.

I should have known Cinder wouldn't have changed. I should have e-mailed him months ago in the rehab center once I could move again. Oh, well. No use dwelling on the past. I had him back now, and that was all that mattered.