The Runaway Shepherd

The streets of Westchester were completely empty as even the occasional drifter had fled in search of shelter as the rain fell heavily on the November night in New York. As a loud crash of thunder could be heard, followed by a flash of lightning, a young brunette girl could be seen sitting on the steps of a building behind her, illuminated by the light.

She was alone.

She had run away from home. Again.

Only this time the situation was even worse than the previous one and she knew she couldn't go home this time, at least not yet anyway. Her mother and she had gotten into yet another argument about the contents of oxycontin that had been in the young girl's leather jacket pocket. She had tried to lie, say they weren't hers but her mother wouldn't even hear her out, saying how her father would be so disappointed if he could see her now. Harsh words and perhaps Carolyn hadn't meant to say them but she had hit her limit with the amount of trouble her youngest daughter was getting herself into and it worried her sick.

The youngest Shepherd had stormed off upstairs, packed her bag and left out of her bedroom window without another word. This had been hours ago now. She had just been trying to prove a point to her mother like she always did but she was starting to regret it now.

She regretted leaving home, now that her hands were freezing cold and her whole body was soaked from head to toe. Her frail body shook violently from the cold air and she was sure that if it wasn't for the multiple layers she was wearing she would definitely have froze to death by now.

She considered her very limited options now as she sat there, looking forward as a few cars passed by her on the road in front. Her three sisters hated her and already thought she was the biggest disappointment, not to mention they'd most likely try to get her arrested for what she had on her. And her older brother, Derek? Well, he wanted nothing to do with her now after she'd unintentionally crashed his car into a ditch last week whilst she hadn't been sober.

This had to be Karma for sure. She figured she probably deserved this miserable life she was now leading. She had made so many mistakes, hurt so many people with them and now she practically had no one, something she had to accept. There wasn't anything she could do now without a time machine.

A few minutes or maybe even hours later, she had completely lost track of time, a cop car had pulled up on the sidewalk near to where she sat. She had felt her breath hitch in her throat, her heart suddenly racing.

For a moment she just stared as the officer had gotten out and approached her, asking if she was alright and for her name and her address.

"Amelia Shepherd." She had answered a few moments later, not able to control her emotions as suddenly she just burst into tears with no explanation for why.

The office seemed to give her a concerned look, wondering what a young girl was doing out so late at night, alone. "I will need to take you home, do you know your address?" they asked her.

Amelia froze, she couldn't go home, especially not with a cop. Before she could stop herself she had blurted out the address that belonged to Mark Sloan, her brother's best friend and a guy who had basically been part of their family for years now.

She mentally cursed herself after, hoping that somehow Mark would take pity on her and let her hide out with him for a while until she figured out her next move. He'd kept secrets and promises for her before when she'd been younger, so despite the severity of this one, she was sure he'd at least help her out.

They arrived at the address and a worried-looking Amelia followed the officer to the front door of the NYC apartment.

Hearing the loud knocks, a half asleep, topless, Mark Sloan stumbled to the door and opened it, "Hey what time do-" he started but stopped mid-sentence, his eyes going wide when he saw a police officer standing there in front of him at two in the morning.