Right where you left me (Kaimelia)

Two whole years.

Two whole years since Kai Bartley had taken up an offer that they couldn't refuse, miles away in London.

Two years since they had packed up their whole life in Minnesota, moved halfway across the world and probably forgotten all about Amelia Shepherd.

Two whole years since Kai had left her. Since everyone had technically left her, or at least that's how she had seen it back then.

She had never blamed any of them for it.

Well, that was a lie, For the first few weeks, she had almost knocked herself back into her own ways, almost gone into a whole spiral, almost fell back into the dark days of her past. However, luckily for her, her former sister-in-law Addison Montgomery had given her some tough lough and a lecture and sent her back to reality.

No one had abandoned her. They had just moved on without her, been selfish for once in their lives and got something that they deserved. She couldn't stand in the way of someone's dream, someone's goal. I mean who would she be now if she had let people do that to her? It was simple, more unhappy than any break-up in the past had made her, that would be the answer.

***

The autumn leaves had fallen in Seattle and the days were getting shorter. The fall air was crisp and clean as summer had ended and a new season was approaching. Temperatures had gotten cooler as the state prepared for the Rainier seasons that were just around the corner.

Near the docks, leaning against the railing was Amelia Shepherd, who was staring forwards, looking out at the ferry boats, with a coffee in her hand.

"So has the place fallen apart without me yet?" Meredith joked with a small grin as she approached the brunette. It was no lie that Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital had been so different since Meredith Grey had left to go to Boston to work for the Catherine Avery Foundation, especially to Amelia.

Amelia turned her head towards her when she had heard a familiar voice, "Mer! You're here! Why didn't you tell me you were gonna be here this morning??" she said as she wrapped her arms around her 'sister'.

Meredith hugged her 'sister' back and smiled, "What? And ruin the surprise? Plus I had to come early because I need your help with choosing which outfit I should wear to the get-together and biennial award ceremony tonight." she said to her.

"Yeah actually that makes sense." she said and then smiled, "also I'm hoping you weren't expecting to have those heels back that I took from you before you left because I think I've grown an attachment to them and honestly they suit me more," she said with a small nod.

Meredith shook her head, "You mean what you stole from my wardrobe whilst I was in the room? We both know you're only saying they suit you more to persuade me to let you keep them and because I love you enough I will let you have an extended borrow date." she said to her.

Amelia shrugged, "done deal." she said and then raised her brow slightly, "Hang on. How'd you know I was here?"

Meredith took the coffee from Amelia's hand and took a sip of it, leaning against the railing beside her. "When you're not at home you're at the hospital, when you're not at the hospital you're here," she said simply. "And usually when you're here you're clearing your head. So, what's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Amelia."

"Meredith."

Meredith sighed and gave her a look which Amelia knew all too well, she could read exactly what the expression meant. Amelia turned back to look at the ferry boats, "Do I have to talk about it with you?"