32 | the hounds of infernis

Syn and I parted ways in the courtyard, but not before planning to meet up later that night. He didn't ask why I needed the portal, and I continued wondering why until I ran smack into my ex-roomie Ri. Her pristine white blouse was ruffled and one of the lavender straps of her boots had come undone.

Loose strands framed her face, wide-eyed and flushed, as she raised both hands in a gesture I didn't even know she was capable of. "S-so sorry," she stammered, for once not looking perfectly controlled and collected. "I totally wasn't—" Her eyes landed on my face and she dropped her hands. "Oh. It's you."

Still the same old Ri.

I arched a brow.

"You're like a rash." She shouldered past me. "Always show up when you're least wanted."

"And here I thought for a second your personality was deeper than a kiddie pool." I adjusted the shoulder strap of my backpack and started down the corridor leading to the library. "Have a good one, Richelle."

Whatever she called after me was drowned out by the sound of a door slamming up ahead. No loss there. I was almost at the library entrance when none other than Aidan himself disappeared down the far end of the hallway.

Thankfully, he'd had his back turned to me. My brief encounter with Queen B was enough unwanted interaction for today, thanks very much. Then again, Ri was probably more interested in the secluded hallway than the vast place of peace and, most importantly, knowledge I was headed to.

Much to my relief, the library was practically empty. Leyn sat at her desk, perpetual scowl aimed at a group of dryads conversing quietly at the table closest to the window front. One of them, a girl with short sand-colored branches peeking out of the designated branch holes in her sweater, kept glancing between the group and Leyn and fiddling with the pen in her hands.

I didn't recognize her at first, but when her amber eyes met mine and she gave me a curt nod, it dawned on me. She had been a part of the team we'd snatched the flag from toward the end of the tournament. The surprise must have been evident on my face, but I still managed to return her greeting with a small smile.

"You again," Leyn greeted me when I approached her desk. "Classes are out 'till next week, you know?"

"I'm aware," I said. "Just came by to check on my favorite librarian."

"Flattery will get you nowhere." She sighed, put her pen on the stack of library cards between us, and placed her hands on either side of it. "What do you want?"

Glad to see Leyn hadn't lost her edge.

"Remember when you asked me about those stolen books?" I asked tentatively.

Her eyes narrowed to slits and I resisted the urge to take a couple of steps back.

"Well, I was just wondering if"—I swallowed—"uh, were the books ever returned?"

"Yes..."

That was...good. I felt myself nod as a tiny sliver of relief settled in.

Leyn clasped her hands together, sending her pen spinning off the stack in the process. "Would you happen to know anything about that?"

"Just, uh, you know asking 'cause you were a little, up—uh, upset about someone stealing them," I rambled, staring into those stormy eyes of hers.

Please don't owl out on me.

Lips pressed into a thin line, she nodded slowly. "In that case, rest assured. All is well again."

Her face spoke a different story. Still...