36 | privileged information

"What was that about?" Jaydis asked, staring at the space in the crowd of students Haze had just barged through.

Unbeknownst to him, I knew exactly what that was about. Haze's reaction just confirmed the suspicions that had been growing for a while now.

I eyed Jaydis, trying to gauge his reaction to my ensemble. He didn't seem to notice anything unusual, which meant he either didn't know or didn't know enough about them to recognize the little details. In any case, that would have to remain mine and Mr. Hothead's secret for now.

"Beats me," I mumbled, adjusting the scabbard just enough that it no longer dug into my neck. "I should probably find out though."

"Nice costume, by the way," Jaydis said.

I tensed involuntarily as Jaydis' gloved hand inspected the hilt of the plastic sword.

Did he notice after all?

"Say..." His yellow eyes snapped to mine. "Did something happen in that cave?"

I let out a breath. Not much besides nearly passing out and drowning. Oh, and enjoying being carried by my passive-aggressive demon roomie over there a little too much. But details. Ones I'd best keep to myself.

I cleared my throat. "I couldn't see. He, uh—He helped me find the way out."

Jaydis' hand dropped as a small frown appeared on his face. Behind him, Kenas lowered the cup he was about to drink from. One of the glued-on branches protruding from his chestnut brown shirt nearly poked a nearby fae in the back as he leaned forward. "That's all?" he asked, ignoring the disgruntled fae's huff of annoyance.

Well, he'd also been witness to a full-blown panic attack on my part, but that definitely wasn't a topic for conversation. It was bad enough that Haze knew about my irrational fear of the dark in the first place.

"What did you think happened?" I asked.

With a vigorous shake of his head, Jaydis' curious frown was swiftly replaced by what he probably thought was an innocent smile. "Nothing!" He stepped back and folded his arms behind his head. "Nothing at all. Right, Kennie?"

"Right," Kennie confirmed. Grimacing, he added, "Don't call me that."

Jaydis waved him off. "I always knew Zee was a big ol' softie."

Kenas turned to me; a smile suspiciously similar to Jaydis' now on his face. "You sure all he did was help you?"

Had he...said something to them?

I swallowed. "Wha-what do you mean?"

My two roomies exchanged a knowing glance. Jaydis cleared his throat and wrapped an arm around my shoulder and wiggled his eyebrows. "We're not blind, Ari."

What was he... Oh. Oh!

"No!" I shook my head. "Nuh-uh. Nope. Why would you—how would you... What?"

Kenas chuckled. "Someone's being awfully defensive. Again."

Of course, I was. This was Haze we were talking about. The same lazy, personal space-invading sloth that never failed to use his substantial height to his advantage whenever he couldn't win an argument. Haze who—wait, again?

When had I...? Oh. Right. Syn had called me out about being defensive after Jaydis' little team-building exercise.

Damn it.

I glanced at those closest to us—who, thankfully, were minding their own business—before narrowing my eyes at the amused miniature giant and the oversized dryad before me. "There's nothing going on—"