[7] 七

Ryuzo stood beside my gate, underdressed for the cold in a dark mock-neck sweater and slacks that clung to his perfect body. His dark hair was loosely pulled back, half of it falling into his face. He was absurdly handsome and impossible to ignore. 

While I was relieved to see him, I was still mad. "I didn't think you were coming back."

"To you?"

A flirt. I glared. "And your job, your home, your friends," I listed.

He hummed like he didn't believe me, taking one last drag of his cigarette. He stamped it out on the sidewalk next to three others. How long had he been waiting there?

"I was called away to Yokohama on business last minute."

"Last minute?"

"Yes. I'm sorry I wasn't here. He looked me in the eye with remorse. "I wanted to be. More than anything."

Business in Yokohama sounded suspicious, but I believed him. "So you're back now?"

"I snuck away for the night."

"Just the night?"

A deep hum was his yes. "I couldn't stop thinking about you."

My heart did flips in my chest. As distracting as his words were, they weren't enough to make me forgive him. "Did you think about me or think about getting me naked again?"

"Don't be cruel."

"So, naked."

"Naked and clothed," he insisted. "I like you. All of you."

Now I was the one humming my disbelief.

"I got this for you. To apologize for Saturday." He held out a small box with both hands, bending with a shallow bow.

It was the size of my palm, meticulously wrapped in brown parchment paper, and tied with two shades of pink ribbons. I took it from him and slid off the lid. Inside was a delicate gold chain with pink acrylic cherry blossoms that matched perfectly with my scrubs. A note sat at the bottom.

Please forgive me, my sakura.

– 隆三

My sakura? Interesting.

I lifted the necklace from the box, knowing my bougie skin turned green for anything under 14 karats, but when I pulled it out, it felt heavy. The charm, no bigger than my fingertip, was a real blossom. Two flowers meticulously encased in resin and framed by gold. Small crystals decorated the center of the flowers and their connection to the chain.

It was serious jewelry. The bar for men was in hell, but it meant something to me. I wasn't willing to let him win me over just yet.

"If you wanted to give me a real gift, you'd bring me curl cream, a silk bonnet, edge control, something." I fluffed my sorry excuse for curls. "Your girl is struggling, and you're bringing her trinkets."

"You don't like it?"

"I didn't say that." 

He smirked while I tucked the box into my bag, thinking he did something, but I wasn't done.

"Ryuzo . . . I like you, a lot, but I am not going to play games with you," I told him. "Don't say you want me then ghost me. Do what you say you're going to do and show up when you say you will."

His eyes widened with surprise. "I . . ." He failed to find words. "I'm sorry, Mina-chan." He bowed again, deep and apologetic.

As he leaned back up, he brushed his hair back out of his face. I saw the bruise along his cheekbone. My anger dimmed.