[12] 十二

I woke up the next morning sore and happy. Walking would be a chore, but I wasn't complaining.

Ryuzo wasn't next to me anymore. A folded cotton robe, shirt, and pair of his underwear laid in his place. Everything smelled like him — rain and cedar mixed with something sweet. It brought a smile to my face.

I went into the bathroom, put them on, tucked my hair into a somewhat acceptable bun on the top of my head, and took liberty with his mouthwash. After I felt somewhat presentable, I crept downstairs. When I saw him, I stopped in my tracks.

Ryuzo lounged on his couch, looking at his phone while the fluffy cat perched on his chest. She had her head pressed beneath his chin while he absentmindedly scratched her ear. His robe laid open, exposing his long, muscular body. The red and black fabric matched the dominant colors of his tattoos.

I stared at him in awe for a moment. My brain was still swimming in happy post-coital chemicals that made me smitten with every breath he took, but it was more than his sex appeal. He mattered to me.

He paused his petting to type with both hands. The cat batted his phone with a paw. "Stop it," he scolded her in Japanese and moved her paw away with a gentle pluck. She did it again for good measure. "You are being bad. Stop."

He curled up in his arms like a baby while gently scolding her further. If I had panties on, they would have disintegrated.

"What's your baby's name?" I asked.

He looked surprised to see me, then pressed his lips together like he didn't want to say what came next. "Her name is Susuwatari. Susu." He looked beside me. "And that is Jiji."

I followed his gaze to the black crescent lounging in the sunlight coming through the patio doors. She narrowed her eyes at me, as untrusting as last night.

"Susu and Jiji? Zo-chan . . . That's pretty kawaii," I teased.

"It is not kawaii, I just . . ." He chuckled at himself. "Shut up."

I curled up on the couch next to him and looked at Susu. She stood tucked behind him like a shy child.

His phone buzzed next to him. He glared at it but didn't pick it up. "Did you sleep well?" he asked me instead.

"Could you not tell by my snoring?" I asked.

He laughed. "You are so upset. It's a quiet, little sound."

"Really?"

"Yes. It's kawaii," he teased. A roll of my eyes made him laugh again. "Yes. It is kawaii," he teased. A roll of my eyes made him laugh again. "No one has told you before?"

It was an innocuous question, but had a heavy answer. "I've never slept next to someone before. So . . . no."

He grinned at me for a moment. I felt embarrassed until he added, "I thought I was the only one."

"Never?" I meant my accusatory question to be rhetorical, but his look in my eyes and the small shake of his head made my heart squeeze. "Don't lie to spare my feelings."

"I never lie to you," he said, then took my chin in his hand, pulling me into a kiss. He lingered, making my head float and my body ache for him. His hand slid to my cheek before his lips left mine. "Never, Mina-chan," he whispered.

His dark, heavy eyes stared into mine, daring me to say something else. I swore I would believe anything he told me if he looked at me like that. 

His phone vibrated. An elongated pattern signaled a call. He looked at it and silenced it with a heavy sigh.