Groundhog and Ronno

Suri's POV

Suri's POV

We reach the groundhogs home to see many animals gathered. All of Thumper's sisters sit beside him. "Attention, everyone, attention. Everybody, gather round. We'll be starting in just a few moments, yes. Now, there's plenty of room. Ma'am, could you just scoot over one? Very nice. Oh, the young prince and princess. This is a special occasion" the owl states.

"Please carry on Friend Owl" I tell him politely and he nods his head.

"Greetings, greetings. Each year we gather round to watch the groundhog emerge from his winter slumber, for if he sees his shadow" he starts to explains.

"It means more winter!" one of Thumper' sisters shouts.

"Yes. But if he doesn't" friend owl continues.

"Spring is on its way!" another of of Thumper's sisters cheers. The others all giggle.

"Yes. Now, without any further interruptions" friend owl says giving them a look. " The groundhog!" he announces gesturing to a hole. But the ground hog doesn't appear. "The ground hog" he says again.

"Where's the groundhog?" Thumper asks.

"Groundhog! Groundhog! Groundhog! Groundhog!" his sisters chant. Friend owl looks into the hole asking what the problem is.

"I'm afraid to go out there. I'll see my shadow" a scared voice answers.

"Well, that's entirely the point, isn't it?" friend owl asks grumbling.

"I don't care" the voice answers.

"Oh. Must we go through this every year?" friend owl asks sticking his head into the hole. I laugh with the others. When I see a familair face.

"Faline!" I cheer and she smiles.

"Hi Suri" she says as she stands beside me. "Hello Bambi" she says fluttering her eyes at him. He backs up and falls over a tree root. He waves at her.

"Hi Faline" he says sheepishly. He rights himself and walks over.

"I almost didn't recognize you" she states.

"Really? I, I guess it's because my spots are almost gone. Er, and my antlers are coming in too. Can you see 'em?" he asks showing her his head.

"Erm, well" she says unsure how to answer. Thumper pops in between Faline and Bambi.

"I don't see anything" he says honestly and Bambi glares at him. "Well, I don't" he states.

"Don't worry Bambi, I'm sure they'll appear by spring" I assure my brother. He gives me a grateful smile as Friend Owl pulls his head out of the hole. "It's time" I tell them and we all watch. As friend owl announces the ground hogs arrival. The groundhog exits it's den with it's eyes covered and I see it's shadow.

"Oh, why me? Oh, this is the last year– My nerves just can't take it any more" he whines.

"I see his shadow" one of Thumper's sisters gasp.

"More winter" he groans.

"More hibernating" Flower says dreamily.

"No shadow, no shadow– Please, no shadow– Please don't let there be a shadow– Please don't let there be a shadow" he groundhog pleads. He uncovers his eyes just at the clouds block the sin, making his shadow disappear. "No shadow. No shadow! Oh, spring is here. Spring is here!" he shouts.

We all cheer happily. Glad spring is on it's way. "♪ Oh, let's sing a gay little spring song. Let's get together and sing♪" he sings. We soon sing along as he dances around happily. "Oh, I'll never be frightened again!" he declares. Suddenly another fawn pops up in front of him shouting 'BOO!', scaring him.

The groundhog utterly freaks out and runs around in a panic. He dives back into his hole. As I glare at the fawn as he laughs, what a jerk. "It looks like I scared the shadow right out of him" he brags. I huff and start to walk away with the others. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Hey! Where's everybody going? Forest on fire?" he asks appearing in front of us. As Thumper's sisters whimper scared of him.

"Who are you?" Faline asks him.

"Name's Ronno, and these are the boys: Stab and Jab" he says racking his tiny antlers up a tree. Making snow fall on him. Serves him right.

"Well, I hope the three of you have a nice day" Faline tells him.

"Don't let us interrupt" I sneer and we continue on our way.

"I wouldn't go that way if I were you. That's where I saw a Man" Ronno tells us.

"You saw man?" Bambi asks awestruck. I roll my eyes, Ronno was clearly lying.

"Uh-huh. There I was, out in the meadow. Suddenly, I heard this voice luring me in" he explains. "I'm here, I'm here.See, Man's got this stick that can make his voice sound like one of us. But I'm way too smart for that, so I crept up on him, real quiet. Then bam! I knocked him out with my trusty antlers" he brags. Ramming a branch, only to get two pine cones shoved into his mouth.

"That's quiet a story" Faline tells him.

"Oh, you think so?" he asks.

"Yeah, unbelievable" I say sarcastically rolling my eyes.

"Unbelievable" Bambi says still in awe.

"You calling me a liar?" Ronno demands glaring at Bambi.

"No, no" Bambi assures him.

"You wanna spar, do ya?" Ronno asks lowering his head.

"Uh, no!" Bambi exclaims.

"Clobber him, Bambi" Thumper says.

"Bambi? Isn't that a girl's name?" Ronno as with a laugh and I glare at him hotly. "Come on. Let's go. Just a little, friendly competition" he says backing Bambi into a tree. I ram him away.

"No one messes with my brother" I sneer.

"Ronno!" a voice shouts and I see a doe.

"Coming mother" he says in a low submissive voice.

"Yeah. Maybe you should get going" Faline tells him.

"Yeah and don't come back" I sneer.

"Jeez, I was only playing around with him. Isn't that right, Bambi?" he asks in a teasing tone. I paw the ground ready to charge him again. But his mother calls him again.

"I'm coming!" he shouts and runs over to her. "MA! How many times do I have to tell ya? Don't bother me when I'm trying to make new friends!" he yells at her. Seriously, no respect what so ever.

"You big mama's boy! Why don't you run home to your mama? You big old mama's boy!" Thumper shouts.

"Thumper!" his own mother calls.

"Coming, Mama. Gotta go. See ya, Bambi, Suri" he says and left with his sisters. Flower says goodbye and leaves also. I see Faline's mother Ena waiting for her.

"Do you want us to walk you home?" Faline asks us.

"No. My father's coming for us" Bambi assures her.

"Well, it was nice to see you again, Bambi, Suri" she says. She went over to her mother, who greets her fondly. We watch them leave sadly, missing our mother. When dad doesn't come, we decide to talk a small nap as we hadn't got match sleep the night before. 

A/N

Gif above of the groundhog dancing and picture in chapter of Ronno.