Dogs Again

Suri's POV

We woke up a little late today. Dad is still tired, Bambi and I had to wake him up. "Come on, sleepyhead" Bambi tells dad.

"Remind me never to let your brother eat blossoms before bedtime" dad tells me. I nod my head. I'm walking beside him as Bambi leads the way.

"Wait, I hear trouble" Bambi says and we freeze. I listen and hear a buzzing. "Hornet nest, antler-high" he says and dad looks up. He smiles and ducks under it.

"Very good" he praises Bambi. "Wait! Now I see trouble" he states pausing.

"Where?" Bambi and I ask.

"Rival stag, dead ahead" dad says looking at Bambi. "He's pretty small. Shouldn't be any trouble" he states and I giggle.

"Oh, yeah? I can be plenty of trouble" Bambi tells him.

"No, not you" dad says.

"Yes, me" Bambi says and they start to mock spar. Bambi is soon on his back and dad tickles his stomach. I laugh with Bambi. It's amazing having a dad. I hope he never leaves.

"There you three are!" Friend Owl says as he flies over. Dad raises his head letting Bambi get to his feet.

"Hello, Friend Owl" Bambi and I say.

"Well, hello" he says.

"I've been meaning to speak to you" dad tells friend owl.

"I've been looking everywhere. I thought you'd be by the meadow now" friend owl states. Bambi rams into dad's leg playfully.

"I'm afraid I got a little distracted" dad says sheepishly.

"So I see. Well, no matter. I usually find what I'm after. Speaking of which, there's someone I'd like you to meet. Mena" Friend Owl says and a doe with green eyes appear.

"Great Prince" she says bowing her head slightly in respect.

"Bambi, Suri go to the den" dad tells us.

"Bambi. Suri, I've heard so much about you both. You know, your mama and I grew up together, with my twin Jemma" Mena tells us.

"You did?" Bambi asks her.

"Go to the den" dad tells us again. I go to do as I'm told.

"But I want to hear about Mother" Bambi whines.

"There'll be plenty of time for that once you and Suri are settled in your new home" Mena states. I stop shocked and look up at dad with tears in my eyes.

"You're sending us away?" I ask.

"No. Just let me explain" he says.

"But we did everything you said" Bambi says upset. "We even heard with our hooves" he cries.

"Bambi, a prince does not..." dad tries to say.

"That's all you care about, not us!" I shout glaring at him.

"I wish mother was here instead of you!" Bambi shouts. We run off to find our friends. We tell them about the move. "I'm sure gonna miss you guys" he states.

"We both are" I add.

"Don't worry. We'll see each other again" Faline assures us.

"We'll come visit you, if it's not too far" Thumper states.

"But Mama says it is too far" his sister says sadly.

"And if you get scared, just be scarier than whatever's scaring you" Thumper reminds us.

"Bambi, Suri" dad calls and we raise our heads. "It's time to go" he tells us. We follow him through the forest. "Being a prince means sacrifice. He must ignore his feelings and do what is best for others. Do you both understand?" he asks us.

We nod our heads. "I'll visit you both soon, be good for Mena" he tells us. "And never forget, you are a prince and princess" he tells us. We hold our heads high and head over to Mena. She smiles at us and leads us away. I walk beside her, Bambi following us.

"So, you're Oliver's aunt?" I ask.

"Yes, he'll no doubt return to our part of the forest once he hears the news. I hear he is rather taken with you" she states.

"We're friends" I tell her. She smiles and looks back then frowns. "What is it?" I ask and turn to see Bambi fighting Ronno. "Bambi!" I shout and rush over with Mena.

"Bambi are you alright?" Mena asks. Ronno runs into her and she is caught in a snare. Somethings bang together and make a lot of noise. "All three of you get out of here. Now!" she tells us. That's when we hear the dogs barking.

"Mummy!" Ronno screams and runs off. Mena tells Bambi and I to run as the crows fly over head.

"Run Suri, Bambi!" she shouts and we take off. "Faster Suri, Bambi. Don't look back! Keep running! Keep running!" she shouts. We freeze, those were mum's last words. I can't lose anyone else. I share a determine look with Bambi and we run back.

We bleat at the dogs catching their attention and take off. Leading them away from Mena. "It's working!" he shouts.

"I know, keep running" I tell him.

"I know where to go, follow me!" he yells and I follow him through the bushes. The dogs still on our trial. He leads me to the porcupine's log. He stomps on it and the Mr Porcupine appears.

"Looky who's here. I guess somebody didn't learn their lesson" he says.

"I learnt plenty" Bambi states and stomps on the log. Sending the porcupine flying at the dgs. We then take off across the log. "Now what?" he asks.

"The rocks by the south meadow" I state.

"But we'll have to cross the meadow" he states.

"We can do it, together" I tell him. He nods and I lead the way. We still have two dogs on our trial. We soon reach the meadow and hide in the tall grass. I try to feel with my hooves as I can't see the dogs and I notice Bambi doing the same with his eyes closed. As it begins to rain.

He opens his eyes and we lock eyes. We could feel them. We wait and then leap towards the trees. The dogs run into each other. Bambi and I don't stop, we keeping running for the rocky hills, that over look the meadow. We'd never climbed them without dad, but we'd have to today.

We do so and the dogs follow. One falls though and we only have to worry about the one. We're soon cornered on a ledge. Bambi paws at a pile of rocks. I do the same, standing on the other side of it. The rocks come loose and we hear the dog yelp as we land on a ledge.

"I think it's gone" Bambi states. But it reappears. I then remember what dad did the last time. I turn around and kick out with my back legs hard. Sending the dog flying and it doesn't return. "Dad" Bambi says and I smile up at dad.

We run over to him and leap across a small gap. Landing in front of dad. Bambi slightly behind me. I smile up at dad when I hear rock grumbling behind me. I turn to see Bambi fall. "Bambi!" I shout with dad. We race down to where Bambi fell, his eyes are close.

"Bambi" I cry and nudge him. He doesn't stir.

"Get up" dad tells him. "A prince does not" he stops and sighs sadly. Laying down nuzzling Bambi. I lay beside Bambi, resting my head across his back. As my tears fall. I notice dad crying too.

"Dad, Suri" Bambi says weakly.

"We're here" dad tells him. As I sigh in relief, my brother is ok. I notice Mena with our friends and smile. We all are. The full moon and stars shine down on us as Mena leaves. I guess Bambi and I are staying we dad from now on.

A/N

Picture above of Mena.