@Project_Athena September prompt

Prompt: A vampire and a werewolf, both trying their hardest to remain hidden, become roommates.

Les had only been a landlord for the last three weeks, and he didn't like it.

As a union rep and a socialist it was always something he felt uncomfortable about, making someone pay you just to live in your house, it was just wrong wasn't it. Exploitation of the working class. He hadn't bought the house specifically to make money, he was living there, but he still felt a bit grubby.

But he needed something that would pay the bills, he'd not long done up his house and the strike had given his wallet another huge hit. It was definitely not going to be the last one. His salary was too low in any case, that was why the union was so important. If the next round of negotiations failed, he was looking at losing his job. So he had advertised on Rightmove that he had a room available. He was charging the lowest rent he felt he could get away with, although he wasn't stupid. He was as helpful as his condition would allow, but his conscience still troubled him.

What also troubled him, was that there was something about Val that made him uncomfortable. He didn't know what. At first he had told himself this was the guilt talking. But as the two sat in the kitchen together and Val poured herself a drink, he realised how unsettling he found her.

'Well, great news to start the weekend with. I got a promotion,' Val said. She was a 40 year old IT manager at a school, who had recently split up with her husband.

'That's nice, congratulations,' Les said. He felt less uncomfortable at having to charge her a higher rent, he probably earned less than she did.

'Yes, it's brilliant,' Val said, and she went to the fridge and poured herself a glass of wine. Val was obviously quite a feminist. She had put a calendar on the fridge with certain days marked off every month. He was an open minded man and liked women to be comfortable in talking about their problems. Yet, to his mind, this was a little too much information. He didn't need to know when her 'time of the month' was, did he?

'You know, the entire time I've lived here, I've never seen you eat or drink anything and you've never got any food in the fridge. Aren't you going to join me with a glass of wine?' Val said, as Les rolled some tobacco. It was his only vice these days.

'Ah, you see, I don't get hungry,' Les said. 'I ate earlier.'

'You're such a good cook, but you never eat anything,' Val laughed as she topped up her glass.

'Yes I do,' Les said, defensively. This was the problem with suddenly not living on his own. He had forgotten about how strange aspects of his lifestyle could seem. And Val, he had discovered, could be very nosy. Les finished rolling the cigarette and stepped outside into the pitch black night. He lit it up and inhaled deeply.

'Oh, I never smoke any more, I just vape,' Val said, looking at him judgementally. 'You should try. It's not as bad for you.'

'I'm too old to take up vaping,' Les laughed, and he wondered whether she was going to drive him crazy.

Val had no idea how true this statement was.

'How old are you?'

'I'm 54,' Les said, shifting about in the doorway as he puffed on the rollie. He stared up at the moon, which would be full in a couple of days. It was a clear night and it looked beautiful.

'Oh, you don't look 54,' Val said.

'You're too kind.' The truth was, Les had been 54 for a very, very long time.

'Really, you don't,' Val said flirtatiously.

'No - look, I promise you,' Les laughed. He turned around and saw Val gazing at the moon.