NINETEEN

DAISY

DAISY

Everything felt numb.
My arms and legs had gone numb, and my throat felt dry. I barely dared to sit up but I did and as I tried to stand up, the floor pulled me down. My body ached badly.

Why the hell do I feel so drowsy? Was it that Korean alcohol I had last night?
What time is it?
I need cool water for all this to go away.

With the help of the bed, I stand up and take baby steps towards the door.
I grab the knob but I didn't need to open the door, it was already ajar. I always keep my door locked.

With a deep breath or two, I feel a presence between me. I hear breathing. I was not alone.
Before I could pull the door open and scream for him, I'm pulled back with my hair, a hand on my mouth. A thick rope tightened around my neck as I beat my palm on the door for noise and hooked the fingers of my other hand under the rope. My heart panicked in my ear and my eyes went up as I heard a voice but I couldn't make it out what it said. My skin burning.

I'm pulled back further from the door and I whip my head back, hitting someone behind me that makes the person lose his grip on the noose and I make a run for it with a cry but he still held the ends of the rope in his grip. I gagged and no sound came out, and I tackled on the floor. A heavyweight straddled my waist and pinned me down, hands around my neck, applying pressure at the middle of my throat that I couldn't breathe. I felt all the blood rush to my head, feeling my life slip away from my grasp.
My face turned numb and my lungs burned. And suddenly, the weight was gone. I coughed my lungs out on the floor, gagging again.

I crawl out of the way and barely got myself to the corner of the room. All I could see were blurry shadows, I don't know who was who. I hear a grunt and I knew it was him. He yelled, "Who sent you?!" Another grunt and I hear something break.

When someone crouched near me and touched my face, I screamed until his voice came out calmly, "It's me. Are you okay?" His scent was the only thing that made me stop screaming, "Y-you... t-think?" I couldn't even speak properly, my voice was too hoarse. I held onto my throat as I experienced the pain of swallowing. He instructs, "Stay here, Daisy." And he's off to god knows where.
I hear him grunt again and I hear a another crash. The other guy stumbled because of the nightstand, taking down the ceramic lamp with him. But suddenly, he gets up and jumps out of the window, breaking the glass.

Carmelo doesn't even go after him. He gets the lights and slides down on his knees near me. Not injured in any way. My eyes met the mirror behind him and I saw the marks of the rope at my throat, my face red, almost near blue. My shirt tore at the shoulder, even my shorts at my left thigh. He grabs my face, forcing my eyes on him, "Look at me. Sweetheart, look at me." His voice calm and collected, his touch warm and soft. Worry for me weigh down his brows.
I looked down and I noticed that I was bleeding. And then I was losing it.

Then I was down.

WOO-JIN