Chapter Twenty Three

KENNEDY

Walking through the halls of Pine View high school no longer felt like the daunting experience it was two months ago. Students no longer stare, point or make snarky comments towards me. They are already used to me and my red hair. I became old news slower than I would have liked but I can finally get from point A to point B without being the center of attention.

Jade also got the message, found herself a new boyfriend and stopped bothering me about Wesley. I guess she figured that I am not going anywhere and Wesley will never get back together with her. Her new boyfriend is on the swim team and they look happy together, or at least that's how it seems. Honestly I wish them nothing but the best. I have no hard feelings towards Jade even if she did try to ruin my life here a couple of times.

I finally make it to the guidance counselors office where I have been summoned and knock softly on the door. Miss June calls out for me to enter and I open the door letting myself in. She looks up from the paperwork littered on her desk and smiles at me.

"Ah, my favourite straight A student, welcome. Please have a seat." She invites.

"Are you allowed to have favorites?" I challenge her sitting down.

"I'm allowed to be who I am. So how are you? I haven't seen you in a while." She asks me.

Thank God for that. I am not overly enthusiastic about constantly being sought out by the guidance counselor. Though now that I think about it, it's probably my parents doing and how they keep tabs on me. I don't question her about it because she will probably deny it.

"I'm doing great, looking forward to mid terms." I answer.

"Which you're going to ace as seen from your previous test scores." She replies.

"I do my best."

"I'm glad to hear that. So I don't want to keep you for long but I have a couple of things I would like to discuss with you." She begins.

"I'm all ears."

"Good, first things first. You've been a tutor with the senior tutors program for two months now and all your tutees are doing great. Good job on your part, I knew I could count on you." She praises.

I blush and resist the urge to hide my face behind my hair. Isaiah pointed out that I do that a lot and I am trying to stop. "Thank you."

"No, thank you Kennedy. The school is grateful for your hard work so here is your appreciation." She says handing me an envelope.

I take it from her and inside are a couple of hundred dollar bills.

"What's this for?" I ask staring at the money in disbelief.

"All tutors get paid the same wage, with bonuses if the students do better and you've just earned yourself that." She answers.

"I didn't know we got paid to tutor." I mumble.

"I didn't mention that at the beginning?"

I shake my head. "No you definitely didn't."

"My bad, I'm sorry. Now you get to do something nice for yourself. On behalf of the school, thank you for your hard work." She concludes.

I am still in shock but I put the envelope in my bag tabling it for later. "Was there anything else miss?"

"Yes, it's about your college application. Have you thought about which school you'll be applying to?" She inquires. "If not, I'm sure I can be of guidance. There are a number of top schools where you would fit right in." She decrees taking out a bunch of brochures from her desk.