Beatrice Shepard

"How is she doing?" Dr. Chakwas asked as Shepard was taken into the recovery room.

She was feeling a bit tired but could still make out the doctor's voice clearly.

"Resting," the woman called Miranda replied. "I've checked the status of her implants and they have all synced well with her programming. We installed the new implant that will allow for S.A.M. to establish a connection."

"She's now a fully enhanced human," Miranda continued.

I'm nothing special, Shepard thought. I've been enhanced before.

"Good to hear," Dr. Chakwas said, her footsteps coming closer.

"Shepard," the doctor's voice sounded extremely close.

Shepard took a deep breath but kept her eyes closed, "What is it?"

"You think you can move around?" she asked.

"I feel stiff," Shepard replied, she had forgotten the feeling of being upgraded while awake. "I can try."

"How much did you end up upgrading?" Shepard asked opening her eyes and turning her head to look at the doctor.

"Reflexes, senses, strength, durability," Dr. Chakwas replied helping her sit up. "If you want something else upgraded, we have time. The S.A.M connection should be working if you want to say something to him."

Not right now, Shepard thought. I'm not even used to my own body let alone having someone else in here.

Give me some time, Shepard said to herself.

"My weapons," Shepard said out loud, swinging her feet over the bed. "When can I start warming up?"

"As soon as you're ready to walk on your own," the doctor replied. "Miranda will assist you until you're ready."

"Thanks, Doc," Shepard replied. "I'm sure Miranda will be of great help."

Dr. Chakwas excused herself leaving Miranda and Shepard by themselves.

"How long have you been here?" Shepard asked stretching her muscles.

"About 5 years," Miranda replied. "Been here ever since."

"What secrets has the doctor developed?" Shepard asked knowing that Dr. Chakwas had a few secret projects being developed the last time she was awake.

"A couple," Miranda replied but didn't elaborate.

"Help me up," Shepard said extending her arm to Miranda. "I should probably get started."

"We have time," Miranda replied coming over and helping her stand. "You can rest if you'd like."

"Resting is not a luxury I can afford," Shepard replied as Miranda led the way to the gym in the facility. "The sooner I get moving the sooner I can go back to cryosleep."

"You prefer cryosleep?" Miranda asked surprised.

"This is the third time I've been awake," Shepard replied quietly. "I've lived long enough and want to be left alone. Cryosleep is the only way the Alliance will keep me alive. They can't afford to kill me."

"You don't need to pity me," Shepard continued. "I've lived a good life; longer than most mercenaries in the field."

"Why would you allow yourself to be frozen?" Miranda asked surprised at the news. "Most subjects that undergo cryosleep once can't go back under without any permanent damage to the brain."

"It wasn't by choice," Shepard replied. "I'm one of the few natural biotics to be born without implants or engineering. Since biotics were not really understood during my time, it was decided to put me under until biotics could be better understood."