Beatrice Shepard

Wake up...

Shepard, you have to move...

SHEPARD!

MOVE!

Shepard felt a feeling slowly coming into her body. At first, she felt weightless but as she regained consciousness, she started to feel heavy and nauseous. The pain slowly settled in.

"AHHH, shit!"

Shepard, get up.

Shepard tried to open her eyes but found that she couldn't. Her breathing felt heavy and labored. Her chest felt heavy and there was pain every time she breathed. She felt around and found sand.

We landed? How am I alive?

The last thing she remembered was being pulled by the alien as the gravity increased and having the floor disappear from underneath her. She lost conscience soon afterward.

Shepard, move. We need to move.

I can't-

If we don't move, we die. Get up!

Shepard settled her nerves and took a deep breath ignoring the pain. She found herself on her back. With all the willpower she could muster, Shepard rolled over onto her hands and knees. As the nauseous hit her, she took another breath.

Where am I going? Shepard asked.

Go straight, the voice ordered. At 200 meters you need to duck and crawl for about 3 yards.

Shepard did as she was told. She had to trust that the voice wasn't going to lead her astray. After all, if she went the voice would be gone as well. At least she hoped that was how it worked.

Duck now.

Shepard ducked and crawled for 3 yards. She felt her way through the sand and kept going until the voice told her she could stop.

Can't I open my eyes now? She asked.

We need to find cover, the voice said. The sun is too high and we are being exposed to radiation. If we don't find shelter, we will die.

Where am I going? Shepard asked.

It was getting harder to breathe.

You're injured, the voice added. But that's not a concern at the moment. I'll guide you.

Shepard listened to the voice and kept going.

We are almost there, a few more feet.

Shepard kept going but she felt herself slowing down.

I can't keep going, Shepard said. My lungs feel like they are shrinking.

A few more feet, the voice said.

When Shepard arrived, she collapsed on the floor.

Can I open my eyes?

Slowly.

Shepard slowly opened her eyes and shut them as quickly. The light was bright and made her eyes water. Shepard tried again and made sure to keep them open a little bit at a time. After a few minutes of light exposure, Shepard was able to keep them open fully.

What happened? How did we survive? Shepard asked looking around.

Pure luck, the voice replied.

I don't believe you, Shepard said taking off her broken helmet. There was no way we could have survived that.

My name is S.A.M., the voice said.