• Chapter 24 • Trip

New update
______________________________________

Aaron's POV (Edited)

"Yeah, but you have to take care of yourself. Keep focus on your studies."

I spoke in my brotherly tone. Maura rolled her eyes before she squeezed my hand and spoke

"Relax, brother. I will be fine. You don't have to worry that much."

I pinched her cheeks causing her to smile.

"I'm your older brother. It's my job to be worried about you."

Maura smiled before her eyes twinkled in somewhat pride I guess.

"You know after dad died, I thought no one would ever be able to treat me like him. But I was wrong. I may have lost my father then but I got you in his disguise too."

Her eyes turned glassy and I immediately wiped the treacherous tears that escaped her beautiful orbs. I smiled fondly at her before hugging her to my chest. My sister is what I'm living for. She's the most kindest, humblest person and I want nothing more than to see her happy and content in her life. I had protected her since so many years and I'll keep performing my job. She's the only family member I have that in turn cares about me too.

After I pulled away, I held her shoulders before warning her

"Promise me that you'll tell me if James try to do anything. You will not try to solve it yourself. If he do anything, you'll call me. I'll never be busy for you, ok?"

She nodded her head before mumbling

"You're acting like I'm a child."

"Someone did compare me to dad just a while ago."

She playfully punched my bicep before sticking her tongue out at me. A laughter broke out of me causing her to also bloom.

"Is that true that you'll be living at the farmhouse?"

I paused. I knew it that Maura would put two and two together. She's insanely clever. I turned around to face her. She was patiently waiting for my response. Lying won't do good so I merely nodded my head. Her forehead creased before she asked, tension evident in her voice

"Will you be ok? I mean there's a lot of memories there."

Memories! Of course, they are so many memories hidden there. Some are good while a big portion of them are unsettling. But that's all they are.

Memories.

They have no connection or influence on the present or the coming future. Everything ended there with no new beginning in sight. It was burned with no leftovers remaining.

"That was in the past, Maura. I'm a firm believer in living in present. Past won't be a hurdle in my case."

"But what about Anastasia? Maybe, past will be hurdle for her?"

"Then she had to work with it. World is a cruel place. You can't bend it according to your own ease and wishes. She needs to understand that if she wants to survive."

Maura remained quiet not saying anything and I was thankful for that. I don't want to talk about my past. It's not something to be remembered from time to time.

"C'mon, it's getting late. You should sleep now. I have to finish packing."

Maura nodded her head before she exited my room leaving me alone. I sighed heavily before sitting down on my bed. What Maura said do make me a little suspicious. What if Anastasia decided not to stay there with me? I mean she can do that. She won't have to live with me.