Chapter 43

ANNA'S POV

"You have my number," my Mother spoke as she smushed my face together playfully. "Please call me every night. I just wish you could come with me, but I understand that your life is here now."

I smiled sadly. I wished that my Mother and I could have had more time together, but she had to get back to Geoff. A doctor had come over to check her over though, and they had concluded that she was fine. I was happy to hear it. I was concerned that she was going to have an underlying issue and it was going to cause her issues.

"I can come and visit," I told her.

"I just got you back," my Mother sniffled, gazing at me sadly. "I can't lose you again. Please come and visit me as soon as you can."

I nodded. "You know I will. I love you."

"I love you more," she responded, leaning forwards and pressing her lips to my forehead, looking upset.

I was saddened to see her go, but I kept a brave face on as I hugged her one last time and watched her hop into her rented car that was parked on the side of the road. I was going to call her the second she got home though. I was unbelievably happy to have her back. I felt as if my life was slowly piecing itself back together again.

We waved as she started up the car and drove off, Jared and I making our way back to Clara and Dylan's house in comfortable silence, the wind whistling through the cold air.

Entering the house and closing the front door behind us, I allowed a single tear to slip down my cheek, Jared taking my hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze. "You're okay," he comforted me, nodding.

I smiled, placing myself on his lap and cuddling into him. "Thank you. Thank you for everything."

"Anna," Jared mumbled, leaning his head back so he could look at me. "You don't need to thank me. I would do all of this a thousand times over for you. I love you so much."

I smiled. "I love you too."

He pressed his lips to mine, and I allowed my eyes to flutter closed as I moved my lips against his, pressing myself closer to his body. He snaked his arms around my waist, pulling me so I was straddling his waist. It felt good to be so close to him, my heart hammering against my ribs as we kissed. I eventually parted our lips, smiling at him and hopping off of Jared's lap.

"Do you want to come and see my house?" Jared asked me, and my eyes widened.

Yes. A thousand times yes.

"I'll take that as a yes," chuckled Jared as he took my hand in his and led me out of the door. My legs were still a little shaky, and Jared watched me as we walked. He purposely ensured we moved slowly, and he avoided any holes in the ground or logs that I would need to step over.

I gazed around as we walked, a small office coming into view, a man wandering out in a smart shirt. He had a stethoscope wrapped around his neck, making me smile to myself. I really thought doctors only wore them like that in movies or on TV shows.

My lips suddenly parted as I remembered about Jared's surgery. Was it something he was going to do now that things had been sorted? Or had he completely abandoned the prospect?

Jared noticed me looking, and he sighed. "That's Doctor Oliver. He was the man I was working with regarding me walking again."

Oh.

"Well is that plan still active? Is that something you still want to do?" I asked curiously. I knew how much Jared wanted to be able to walk, but getting his legs amputated and replaced was a huge decision. I fully understood why he needed time to consider it.