𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕. OUTBURST

FORGOTTEN ORCHIDS   |   CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

JIMMY STOOD IN THE MIDDLE in the middle of Vulpesterra, almost perfectly centered in the kingdom, though maybe a few feet too far from it. He didn't notice Atticus at first, simply waiting and looking around the town square with interest; he waved to a few people who greeted him, a pleased confusion in his movements that only turned confident when he finally saw Atticus approaching.

He flashed Atticus that familiar smile that left Atticus breathless; for a moment, Atticus was sure he was dreaming. The sunlight gave Jimmy a glow that Atticus was sure shouldn't be possible, and the smile that graced his lips was too perfect to be real. Atticus would have even pinched himself, just to be sure he wasn't dreaming, if he didn't want to take himself out of this moment.

Atticus was sourly reminded that this meeting between them would be too short for his liking when Jimmy spared a glance at the watch around his wrist. As far as he knew, Jimmy and Pix were in the final stages of securing an alliance. As proud of Jimmy as he was, Atticus had been hoping to spend more time with him; they hadn't seen much of each other since revealing their names, after all.

"Codfather," Atticus greeted, making use of the alias in public. Jimmy's brows furrowed for a moment before he realized, quickly nodding in greeting. "I was thinking we could stop by Gary's on your way out. I'm sure he'd love to know you're a loyal customer." Jimmy chuckled softly, shaking his head in amusement; Atticus took that as a yes.

"I wish I could stay longer," Jimmy admitted, reaching up to scratch the back of his neck. "I don't know why Pix couldn't finalize this in one meeting."

Atticus shrugged. "He's probably trying to record every moment for his books," he theorized. "But hopefully the paperwork will be signed today. Then you shouldn't need to travel to him every few weeks." He smiled up at Jimmy, who quickly grinned back. "Congratulations on the alliance, by the way."

"It wouldn't have happened without you," Jimmy said. Atticus shook his head, but Jimmy nodded insistently. "We both know the others have looked at me with more respect since you offered an alliance. As nice as Pix is to me, he never would have thought about an alliance without you proposing one in front of everyone."

Atticus knew it, too, but he didn't want to be the one to say it. Thankfully, Jimmy looked pleased about the fact, so Atticus shrugged. "I guess we'll never know," he said lightly. He tilted his head in the direction of Pixandria, signaling that they should begin their walk to the edge of the kingdom. Jimmy took the hint, quickly falling into step with Atticus as they walked in that direction.

"I wonder if Pix will show up for the masquerade," Jimmy spoke. "He didn't seem interested when Katherine announced it, but he might show up just to keep the peace."

Atticus hummed. "I'll speak with Lady Niki and see if she's fitted him. I can't imagine Katherine would be too upset if he didn't show up, though. We all know that he made his kingdom away from everyone else for a reason." Jimmy chuckled, nodding in agreement.