CHAPTER 3: MARRIAGE PROPOSAL

ABUJA, NIGERIA

Maha lay on her bed on a video call with her boyfriend, Farouk Alkali. The duo have been dating for almost two years now and even maha's parents are aware of the relationship. They planned on getting married once maha is done with her studies. Maha is a medical student in one of the prestigious universities in India. Her mother, Dr. Mariam Nader, is a well renowned doctor and the owner of Nader general hospital, which has been spread out in different countries and is among the best hospital in the world. Her mother is an extraordinary Doctor, but Maha is the only one among her children who opted to go for medicine and surgery, so she didn't want anything to distract her and she insisted that Maha's, marriage should wait until she was done with her studies, much to the dismay of both Maha and Farouk.

"I am tired of waiting, I want to see you
in my house as my wife." Farouk said, as he stared at maha's face lovingly through the phone. For the past five month Farouk, suddenly started disturbing maha telling her that she should tell her mother she wants to get married, because he cannot keep waiting until she is done with her studies. Maha knew better that to confront her mother with that kind of discussion, Mariam was a strict woman and maha was very afraid of her, she had told her father that Farouk was pestering her to get married sooner than it was already planned but she could never bring herself to tell her mother, because she was scared of her and she didn't feel comfortable having this kinds of discussions with her mother, she would rather tell her father, even though a lot of girls would rather talk to their mother about this kinds of things but she would rather tell her father.

Mariam was a busy woman being a doctor, she never had time for her children she was always in and out of the country. It was because of her the family started to live in Nigeria because she had realized that Nigeria has poor medical facilities and they didn't have good doctors, and sometimes they had to travel out of the country to get a particular surgery done. She had then turned all her focus on Nigeria, because the country was an easy prey, because they didn't have good medical facilities and good doctors and she invested all that she had on the country and in return she charged them for an insane amount of money and in return, they got the best treatment. She had promised her husband, Sufyan that things will change for the better and she will focus more on her children once they moved to Nigeria, but nothing changed, she became even more busy, because she got a lot of money from her hospital in Nigeria. Even sufyan was busy but he always made time for his family unlike his wife, and he was not as strict as her.

"Farouk, calm done. It's just one year and I will be done."

"Ugh" Farouk groaned in frustration and Maha chuckled at his reaction, she opened her mouth to speak but closed it when she heard a soft knock on the door.

"Come in." She said and a woman in her early thirties opened the door, she was wearing a maid's uniform.

"Mr. Sufyan requests your presence." The maid said and left the room, after Maha had answered her.

"Alright baby, Abu is calling me. I love you, bye."

"Love you too." Farouk said and maha hung up and left her room to meet her father. She saw him in the living room with her mother who was busy on her MacBook. She went and sat close to her father.

"Abu, you called for me?" She asked her father with a bright smile.

"Yes." Abu said with a nervous smile, as if he was a child asking his mother if he could go out. "Maha...." He started and then stopped, " I" he said and then stopped again, he took a deep breath and was about to continue when his wife who had been listening to the exchange suddenly spoke up.

"Iimadha anat khayifatan? Faqat 'akhbaraha; why are you scared? Just tell her."

"Tell me what?" Maha asked as her green eyes moved from her father to her mother and then back to her father, she raised one eyebrow as if to ask him what he wanted to tell her.