CHAPTER 11: PHD IN MATURITY

ABUJA, NIGERIA

      Ayman, woke up feeling tired due to his journey from yesterday. He lay unmoving on the bed and memories from the day before came rushing back to him, he couldn't help the loud sigh that escaped his lips when he remembered his annoying wife and how his mouth had kept on betraying him last night. He looked around his room and he realized that his room was decorated in white and green, another loud sigh escaped his lips. He was sure that drama queen would cause a scene the moment she entered the room and realized almost everything is in green. He was starting to regret the fact that green is his favorite colour, maybe his body had reacted that day out of fascination because of the color of her eyes. He never really thought that people with green eyes existed, of course he knew there were a lot of Americans with blue eyes and he had seen a few Nigerians with brown eyes, but green eyes? He had just never seen one, not even in movies. He sat upright in the bed and then he moved his feet to the ground, his feet landed on his house slippers that he always kept close to his bed and he stood up from the bed, after brushing his teeth he went to the kitchen. He tried to do everything quietly so that Maha would not wake up. He couldn't believe he was behaving like a thief in his own house, but what could he do? So far that girl is annoying as hell and he wanted to have a peaceful morning, he didn't like talking too much in the morning and he knew he would never get that peaceful morning, once she wakes up. She was a blabber mouth, yesterday she kept telling him about her childhood inside the air plane and about her life in the university. It was as if all her talks were slowing down the speed of the plane, because he felt as if he had been in the plane for days, that was the most excruciating flight he had ever had in his life just because Maha would not keep quiet, he felt so happy when she finally fell asleep. In the middle of their discussion he realized that she was a medical doctor, at first he found it hard to believe because he was sure medical doctors didn't talk too much like she did. But then he saw the seriousness in her face, she had told him that she would be writing her final medical exams in a months time.

        Finally done with making his coffee, Ayman left the kitchen as silently as he could and he went to the balcony, which gave him the perfect view of his entire house and even some neighboring houses. This was not the house of his dreams but he had began to like it in the three years he had spent inside after Aisha's death. His dream house was in Kano, both he and Aisha had planned the house together but after her death he realized he didn't want to stay in a house they had both planned together, it just had to many memories and he knew it would keep on hurting on him, so he had decided to sell the house. The house he brought in Abuja reeked of wealth, some people thought the house belong to a rich old man because whenever anyone was rich then it was always an old man, the old never gave the youths a chance to also build their lives. Ayman left the balcony and entered his gym, he had always liked going to the gym and hence his well built body, the gym also saved as a place where he could actually relax himself. When Aisha had died, he had entered the gym and spent 4 whole days before finally came out. At that time he was still in Kano and his mother was worried sick about him, she would come and check up on him almost every time of the day even though he wouldn't even answer her because of the pain he felt. She was an angel in his life and he knew that he would have been completely doomed if she was not in his life when Aisha had died. He left the gym when he was done with his workout and went to the living room, it was now 10:30 and Maha was still asleep, he looked towards her door and thanked his lucky stars that she was still asleep. He sat quietly in the living room, a small smile tugged on his lips as he closed his eyes reminiscing the good old days he had spent with Aisha.

        She had been a very vibrant person, so full of life. She had a beautiful smile that could melt the coldest of hearts, he remembered how she had been so attached to everyone especially hajiya babba..... Hajiya babba? Now that he thought about her, he remembered that she had told him to call her. He stood up and entered his bedroom and then he came back inside the living room, holding his Samsung Galaxy s23 ultra. Unlike almost everybody, he didn't like using iPhone. iPhone just got lucky and they became famous but Samsung was the best, not everyone could afford Samsung and that was why they made iPhone which was cheaper a big deal. He dialed hajiya babba's number but she didn't pick the call, he knew she had done it on purpose, she was upset about the fact that he didn't call her immediately he had arrived as she had asked him to. He dialed the number again and just when the call what about to get cut  she picked it up.