TWENTY-ONE

My only talent? Hiding my pain behind a smile, pretending like everything is okay, even when it isn't. But who actually gives a shit in this cruel world we live in?

Present || Leonardo

I'm screwed.

That was the only thought repeating through my mind as Alonzo carried me down the stairs, seeming to be deep in thought. How could I have been so stupid to get caught? 

It seemed luck wasn't on my side today. As we neared the end of the stairs, Giovanni bumped into us. He glanced at me, his eyes widening slightly before they went cold. Glaring at us, he shoved Alonzo and hurried past him up the stairs.

"Asshole," Alonzo muttered under his breath.

I gave him a disapproving glance and he sheepishly smiled," Sorry."

"Got the keys!" A voice yelled behind us.

Alonzo turned around with me still in his arms and grinned at Alex.

"I'll drive," He winked at me, his eyes twinkling.

Why do I feel so uneasy?

***

A feeling of nausea hit me as Alonzo helped me out the car, I wasn't complaining. Alex drives like a total maniac. Alonzo glared at him the entire way he carried me to the hospital. Though I don't know why, my ankle was beginning to hurt less day by day.

"Don't you dare laugh." He seethed staring at a grinning Alex.

Alex shrugged and walked up to the receptionist desk," You wanted to get here fast and I made it so. What's the problem?"

"You were going so fast you made Leo sick," Alonzo replied with a glare, walking behind him with me in his arms.

"Shit I'm sorry Leo," Alex apologized.

I gave him a small smile, it wasn't a big deal. He only wanted to help.

The receptionist cleared her throat," How can I help you two gentlemen?"

Immediately, their eyes narrowed on her, cold and calculating, Alex's shoulders were tensed and Alonzo's hold on me tightened.

"Doctor Rivers." Alex replied, no trace of warmth in his tone.

The woman nodded, letting her eyes trail over Alex before glancing at me. Her lips curled upwards and she winked," Room 202."

There was something in her eyes that drove an uneasiness feeling in me but I chose to ignore it as we walked down the hallway, passing multiple doors and patients. Alonzo's eyes were cold and he seemed to be in deep thought. What could he be thinking about?

Neither of us said a word as we reached the room with the doctor waiting for me but before Alex turned the handle, he turned to us," Leo we want you to be honest if the doctor asks you any questions okay? It's important that you tell the truth."

I nodded slowly, mentally praying that the doctor didn't ask any questions but that was next to impossible. Alex opened the door and walked in, not bothering to knock, Alonzo followed close behind.

The same doctor Alonzo bought me to a while back sat at his desk, a warm smile plastered on his face. Alonzo gently set me down on the examination table and stood next to me, rubbing the palm of my hand. Alex leaned against the wall, staring intently at me as Alonzo began to explain the reason for our visit.

The doctor sighed," Let's see the damage then. Is it alright if your brother's stay in the room? If you want, we could do this privately."

As soon as the words left his mouth, Alex's eyes burned holes into the doctor's. Even behind his mask I could tell he was annoyed, or rather, angry.