Maqual, The Guardian

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Uh? What?" Tazanna looked up and blinked at her friend. It was lunchtime and they were seated by their favorite table where they could gossip about anyone in the office without people hearing them.

Amber rolled her eyes, "really?"

"I- I am sorry," Tazanna shook her head as she pushed her untouched sandwich to the side. "My mind is on a whole lot of things lately."

Amber sat forward, "really? Like a new man or something? Girl, are you dating someone and I am the last one to know?"

Tazanna snorted. "I wish. It's just that-" She hesitated before shaking her head. "You might think I am crazy."

"I already think you are crazy, what's new there?" Amber raised her perfectly shaped eyebrows.

"Right, but this is out of this world crazy, not the type of stuff that we usually do," Tazanna told her friend. She needed to tell someone because she really did feel like she was going mental. As soon as she left her house that morning, she felt as though someone or something was sharing her mind, a presence that wasn't her own subconscious. How do you even explain that without people putting you in a straitjacket?

"Well, come on! Out with it!" Amber stated.

Tazanna bit on her lower lip. Closing her eyes, she released a heavy sigh before a small chuckle escaped her. When she opened her eyes, her friend was staring at her with arms crossed. " OK, here goes. Do you believe in telepathy?"

Amber was quiet for a bit, a small frown on her face. "As in talking to each other through your minds?"

Tazanna rested her eyes on the heels of her palms, her head bent as she shook it, "I know! It sounds like some Sci-fi movie crap. But do you think it's real? I mean everything has to have some kind of truth to it, right?" She raised her head and looked at her friend. "Gosh! I sound crazy! I have even made you speechless."

Amber shook her head, "no, no. What has brought this up?"

"What do you mean?" Tazanna asked her friend.

"Well, like you said. There is always something behind the truth but also the questions that we ask. So what happened to make you think that telepathy is real?"

Tazanna shook her head. She was not ready to tell her friend about her dreams or the fact that there was someone whispering in her head. Even then, she could still feel a presence in her head, a shadow in a corner that was watching her. It made her feel safe. And that was the reason why she did not take herself to a mental institution and got herself locked up. The night before, it was his voice that broke through the darkness that was surrounding her. "No, nothing. I think I am watching too many fantasy movies. Let's drop it."

Amber was quiet for a bit, studying her friend's face with an unreadable expression on her face before she broke into a smile and chuckled a bit, "that must be it. I always tell you, ROMCOMS is the way to go!"

Tazanna rolled her eyes at her, "only because you've got a man to cuddle with when watching all that mushy stuff." She glanced at her watch and stood up.

"I need to go. I have a meeting with your silver fox big daddy, so we can go over the presentation for Wednesday."

"Oh yeah," Amber followed suit. "I heard there will be a big shot coming for that meeting. Do you know who it is?"

Tazanna shook her head as she pressed a button to call the elevators before standing back and waiting. "All I know is I have to work my ass off, and Sam is making sure of that."

"If you need help, hola at your girl. I might not be great at putting the presentation together, but I am good at bouncing off ideas."

Tazanna leaned sideways and bumped shoulders with her, "that's why I love you!" The two separated when they got to their floor, each heading to their own corners. Tazanna pushed her glass door open, finding the man they had been talking about by her desk.