From Afar

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

 ❝ EVEN WHEN SHE'S NEXT TO ME,
WE COULD NOT BE MORE FAR APART ❞  

 ❝ EVEN WHEN SHE'S NEXT TO ME, WE COULD NOT BE MORE FAR APART ❞  

From the day she knew what love was, Layla knew that she was different. Her parents would talk about their great love story and tell her that she would fall in love one day. She would have a husband and a life and a family. But Layla knew that she never would. Part of her wanted to admit it but like a tree in the wind, she stayed firm and quiet whenever the topic was brought up.

Not even her best friend, Ella, knew of her doubts. When she started Hogwarts and found her friends, she began to realise just how different she was. The girls would talk about the men in their year and how gorgeous they were. They'd fawn over the Gryffindor Quidditch players but Layla always had more of an interest in the Slytherin team. Maybe that was because Emma Vanity was the captain. Layla was never really sure.

But she knew that she wasn't like them and that was okay. She pretended. She smiled and giggled and laughed when she was supposed to, she desperately tried to force herself to see why people loved James Potter so much. Though after two years of trying, she gave up.

Instead, she let her attentions turn to the redhead that she called her friend. Lily Evans. With fiery hair and a smile that put the stars to shame, Layla fell hard. Every single thing that she did made Layla want to confess, shout it from the rooftops that she loved a woman! But she couldn't and she didn't.

That was until the Halloween Party of Seventh Year and Lily kissed her. Her feeling didn't feel so alien, she felt free, happy, embraced. That was until her sister told her parents and once she was out of the comforting grasp of Hogwarts, the harsh reality faced her.

She was a lesbian. She was different. She was weird. Her parents hated her. Layla was horrified and she had no idea what to do.