TROJAN HORSE

WASTELAND, PIT STOP, 1090

We didn't stop to eat as Ashley guided me past the food store further into the crowd. The in-door market was bustling with activity, stalls and vendors offering a variety of goods.

Out in front of a particular store were several signs that displayed-to my curiosity-moving images that emitted light. Animated scenes of various people running or trekking through a multitude of environments. It was clear from the animations that this store specialises in something related to them.

Said store was set up near a vendor displaying an array of crossbows. Next to it, there was a stall selling smaller versions of those moving signs. Inside the store, dozens of shoes, boots, and other footwear were on display.

"We're starting with footwear?" I mused aloud, more to myself than to Ashley.

Hmm, I suppose I could do with some new footwear... I look down at my boots. They were alright, but I've been wearing these for quite a while now. Perhaps they could be a bit taller, maybe half-way up my calf would work.

Ashley and I walk in and immediately begin looking around. The interior of the store had a welcoming ambiance. Overall, the place looked very cosy. Warm lighting shined down from hanging lights in the shape of thin bars. A dozen people inside sat comfortably in seats trying out different footwear while others checked themselves out in front of mirrors. It seemed like a popular spot for those in search of the perfect pair.

Following Ashley, I made my way to one side of the store where several pairs of boots were on window display, with their prices written directly underneath. I don't know how expensive they were since the prices weren't in dollars.

"So, 'these in our price range?" A quick nod yes before she made a small pause, writing something in her book.

Once finished, she holds it up to me and...

I have absolutely no idea how or what she is saying as well as why there are so many numbers between her sentences. Not much of a maths guy...

"Uhhh, that ain't gonna translate it for me, girly. Ya mind drawin' a picture for me?" I say as I look closer.

Responding with an exasperated sigh she starts to do as per request. But it was no more futile that the last attempt because all she drew was;

"...A bunch of feet?" I squint my eyes.

She facepalmed so hard that a mark was left once she finished dragging the hand off her face.

Now she's taking a deep breath.

Now she is flicking her wrist at me,

Now she is... mouthing out the word 'boy'?

I'm confused, what the hell's she summoning?

"...Maybe we should sit down so we can develop a wordbook or thesaurus of some sorts. So we can actually understand each other."

Ashley gave me a confused look when I spoke the word thesaurus.

"Thesaurus, y'know. A list of subject headings or descriptors usually with a cross-reference system for use in the organisation of a collection of documents for reference or retrieval?"

...

I think that might've just made it worse... Christ in heaven this'll be annoying.

"Words. Meaning. Other. Words."

Bingo, she lights up. But this time gestures for me to follow.

We ended up grabbing a few writing materials and some food from the main sector and went back to those old couches. Sitting down, we begin to work on our language differences, food in hand.