「Chapter 10」

"How did you convince Aunt Jenna?" Elias asked as he and Elena hurried out of the house.

Elena just gave a sly smile. "I have my ways."

"Well, thanks Elena," Elias said, giving her a grateful smile.

"Don't thank me yet," Elena replied.

Elias paused mid-step. "What?" he asked warily.

Elena turned to face him. "I covered for you. I think you owe me an explanation."

Elias sighed, running a hand through his hair. "It's complicated..."

"Complicated?" Elena shot back. "Elias, you disappeared for two days without a word. And Stefan was gone too - that's no coincidence. You're going to have to do better than 'complicated.'"

Elias shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny. "Look, Stefan and I were just trying to help someone out of a dangerous situation. It took longer than we thought."

Elena narrowed her eyes. "What kind of 'dangerous'? Drugs? A gang?"

Elias shook his head. "I can't give you all the details. Just know that he's been through hell and we helped him escape. He's trying to put his life back together."

"And he couldn't go to the police why?" Elena pressed. When Elias didn't respond, she huffed in frustration. "Come on, I want to help, but you have to be honest with me!"

"I know," Elias said with a sigh. "I wish I could tell you more. But you wouldn't understand, Elena."

"I think I can handle it just fine," Elena shot back.

Elias paused momentarily before looking at her hesitantly. "Vampires exist," he stated.

Elena looked stunned, shaking her head in disbelief.

"And I'm a witch, and so is Bonnie," Elias continued.

"Elias, you're acting crazy—" Elena tried to interject.

"No, you said you can handle it, so handle it," Elias interrupted. "Doppelgängers exist and you're one of them. And yeah, werewolves exist too. The Lockwoods are part of a werewolf bloodline."

"Just stop!" Elena shouted, breathing heavily.

"Why? You said you could handle it. So what's wrong?" Elias snapped.

Elena dragged a hand over her face. "Because this is crazy! Vampires? Witches? Werewolves? How can you expect me to just accept something so...so..."

"Crazy?" Elias offered, tilting his head.

Elena sighed. "I'm sorry, I really do want to understand. But this is a lot to take in all at once."

"Yeah, I'm sure," Elias scoffed bitterly, as he turned to walk away.

------

"Concentrate," Kai said as he leaned casually against a tree, watching Elias.

"I'm trying," Elias gritted out, sitting cross-legged in the middle of the forest clearing. His eyes were closed and his hands lifted, face scrunched in effort.

"Not hard enough, obviously," Kai remarked flippantly.

With a frustrated sigh, Elias dropped his hands and opened his eyes. "You're supposed to be helping me, not just criticizing."

Kai held up his hands. "Hey, I'm trying to help. But you need to focus, magic requires precision and intent. You can't force it - you have to guide it. Here..."

Kai placed his hands over Elias' and met his gaze. "Close your eyes. Breathe deep. Feel the energy flowing within you. Let it build slowly."

Elias did as instructed, trying to calm his impatience. He focused on the growing hum of power, letting it gather naturally.