Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I thought he would send a message, but he didn't. He was still online, though. In the end, I didn't notice as I kept watching random videos on TikTok, and I eventually fell asleep.

The days passed quickly, and today marks our fifth day in training. Next week, we only have five more days left, and we will finally begin our actual work.

Just like yesterday, the training went the same way, and now it's our first break. The only difference earlier was that I rode the elevator alone; I entered before Major did. It was just about ten minutes before the training started, and he arrived only then, going straight to the smoking area before entering the training room 5 minutes before the training started.

So when he and the others who smoked entered, the smell of cigarettes filled the room again, but I've gotten used to it.

I didn't even notice it was our first break already. Some of the others started going out for a smoke, but I had snacks with me, so I stayed in my seat.

"Will you come with us?" Ate Jhen asked me.

"We're going to buy snacks downstairs. Do you want to come?" Rain added. I shook my head as a sign of no.

"You'll come back soon, right?" Rain nodded in response to my question and they proceeded to leave the training room.

I kept myself busy by rummaging through my bag because I was sure that only Sid, Josh, D, and I would be left inside the training room.

I noticed someone sat beside me, and I immediately recognized his familiar scent. I started feeling uneasy again, but I tried my best to act normal. As I took the sandwiches from my bag, I glanced at the person beside me.

I intentionally brought two sandwiches because I planned to give the other one to him, but now that he is here and I was about to give it to him, I couldn't do it. I felt embarrassed and nervous. I don't have the courage to do it.

He had his eyes closed, and he looked like he was asleep... I think, since his head was resting on his arms.

I wonder what time he went to sleep last night? I fell asleep with my phone still online, and when I woke up this morning, he was already online. Or maybe he just forgot to log off?

But anyway, I left the other sandwich inside my bag and only took one out. I couldn't bring myself to give it to him. I really lack the courage!

But I also think, at the same time, that maybe he's just sitting there with his eyes closed and not really asleep.

Sid stood up from his seat, so I glanced at him; he was carrying his tumbler. He's probably getting something to drink. Josh isn't here either; maybe he's with his mom in the pantry.

He's really not moving from his seat though. Doesn't he going to smoke? I couldn't help but be curious.

"Aren't you going to join our teammates for a smoke?" I asked him while multitasking, if you can call it that. Because while I was opening my sandwich, I was also looking at him.

I watched how he slowly lifted his head along with the gradual opening of his eyes. His eyes were really cute, so narrow, it suits him.

I took a bite of my sandwich, and I felt the awkwardness again. Why is he watching me eat?

Maybe he's hungry too, which is why he didn't answer if he's going to smoke or not.

In my panic and worry at the same time, I ended up taking out the sandwich I brought for him and handed it to him.

Fortunately, he didn't refuse, or I would have been so embarrassed.

"Thank you," he said to me and raised the sandwich he was holding. I immediately felt my cheeks heating up – I mean my entire face. I hope I'm not blushing in front of him; that would be uncomfortable! I nodded a couple of times and then took a bite of my sandwich one after the other.

But it was a wrong decision! I choked on it and ended up coughing. What am I doing? I'm just humiliating myself in front of Major! Urgh!

What's happening to me?! My actions are really weird, especially when I'm in front of Major.

He even got up from his seat and came closer to me however I had already taken a sip of my water.

"Are you okay?" he asked me after I had a drink. I nodded once.

"Why the hurry to finish your food? The break isn't close to being over." He asked me a curious question.

I didn't really know what to say until all I could say was,

"So, I can use my phone..." Fortunately, Rain arrived with the snacks they bought, so it wasn't just Major and me inside the training room again.

Major nodded in response to my answer and started eating his sandwich as he returned to his seat.

"You came back from your smoke break really quickly," Rain commented.

"I didn't smoke."

"Oh, you didn't smoke? I have an extra one here," Mark offered his extra cigarette to Major, who declined with a shake of his head.

"I'm trying to cut down on smoking."

"Oh, what's going on? A new lease on life?" Ate Jhen jokingly asked him. Major smirked at her, then the topic quickly changing since Mark was there with plenty of stories to tell."

It was the fifth day of our training, and we'd covered a lot about our work. We were about to have one-on-one discussions with a supervisor to determine if we'd continue training next week or not.

Here's how it would work: Some of us would leave the training room, leaving behind the person taking the test and the supervisor doing the assessment. The rest of us would wait in the lobby, like having free time.