ELEVEN

DEAN HIGHBOTTOM HAD BROUGHT CORIOLANUS TO HIS OFFICE, leading him to a table where he had arranged Coriolanus's handkerchief and his mother's silver compact.

"How did you get that compact?" Coriolanus asked.

"Peacekeepers practically had to wrestle Aria to get it."

Coriolanus glared at Highbottom with nothing but hatred.

"Do you hear that? It's the sound of Snow, falling," the Dean smirked cheekily. "Coriolanus Snow, you will be sent to one of the Districts to become a Peacekeeper as punishment for your crimes.

"Will Aria be—"

"She'll be fine. The people in the Capitol love her too much now for her to be killed."

This gave Coriolanus some comfort, but he was still in shock that he, of all people, was being sent to the Districts. He left Highbottom's office in silence, walked to the Recruitment centre and was told by the lady at the desk he would be going to District 8.

"No. Send me to District 12, please," he begged, but when the woman showed no interest, he offered her the last scraps of money in his pocket, which she happily accepted. Coriolanus thought that if he was sent to Aria's hometown, maybe they could meet again one day.

After putting his uniform on and begrudgingly buzzing his curls off, Coriolanus boarded the train to District 12 feeling utterly defeated. He'd won, and yet he was being deprived of his money? Deprived of his girl? All his hard work, and no reward — at the very least, Aria had survived, and that was just about enough to get him through life in District 12.

The journey was long, since 12 was the final District in Panem, the furthest away from the Capitol. When he finally arrived, he stepped onto the platform and was led to the dorm room he'd be staying in from now on. It was a dingy place, with mould growing on the ceiling, lumpy, uncomfortable bunk beds and a damp smell lingering in the air.

Coriolanus climbed up to the top bunk, laying down for a brief moment feeling fatigued. He'd left everything he'd ever known. Family, friends, his home; it was overwhelming, but he got up, pulled himself together and headed for the showers.

Once he was out, he made conversation with his bunkmates. Nicknamed Smiley and Bug, they were strange individuals, but Coriolanus welcomed any friends he could get in this place. There was also Junius, who was a new recruit like Coriolanus. The four of them headed down to get some food, and Coriolanus earned a new nickname, Gent due to his impeccable table manners, and Junius named Beanpole because of his lanky stature.

He spent the day learning the basic rules of being a Peacekeeper, mopping floors and getting advice from Smiley and Bug. At the end of the day, he climbed into his bed and was tormented by thoughts of Aria. Had she returned to District 12? Was she being kept in the Capitol? He'd decided that the following day, he'd try asking the locals for information on her. Maybe he could even find her friend, Lucy Gray, but it might be difficult since he only had a foggy memory of how she looked when he saw her on-screen the day of the Reaping.

Footsteps echoed in the hall, halting at his door.  A quiet, familiar voice spoke from below.

"Is this bunk taken?

Coriolanus twisted around the on the bed, meeting the eyes of Sejanus Plinth. He'd never been so happy to see anyone in his entire life, as he sprung out of bed exclaiming, "Sejanus!" and wrapping his arms around his old friend. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I couldn't let you come here alone, could I?" Sejanus replied. Coriolanus realised he had misjudged Sejanus. Before, Coriolanus had criticized him for always complaining about living in the Capitol instead of being grateful for it, however Coriolanus had now seen for himself how corrupt the Capitol was, and he didn't want to be a part of it either.