[17] 十七

"I am going to work, Susu," I told her in Japanese, but that was the best I could do. "Your daddy will be home tonight."

In my squatted position, my fluffy bestie put her paw on my knee and stretched up to touch her nose to mine.

"Oh, come on. Don't do that," I complained, my heart threatening to burst over her cuteness. I wanted to curl up on the floor with her and cry, but I scratched her ears instead, soaking in her purrs like they were a drug. She made me consider staying in Japan just to see her.

While Jiji still pretended to hate me, I knew it wasn't true. She was like me, pretending to be detached, holding in a wealth of emotion only people closest to her would ever see. Susu was like her dad, making me feel special every day. It felt like I was on the cusp of being a part of Ryuzo's life — all parts of it.

That, however, was the problem. I didn't want to repeat the past. Six months could be as much risk as reward.

Susu followed me to the ledge of the entryway. Jiji moved to be in view but wouldn't come close enough to imply she would miss me. Relatable.

"Matane, Susu. Bye-bye, Jiji!" The latter narrowed her eyes.

. . .

With no ETA from Ryuzo, work was an excellent distraction from the anxiety

Kat clung to me from behind for the fifth time today, ignoring the lack of enthusiasm in my return. She often did "Western things" together when we were away from the discerning gaze of our coworkers, but today was a lot.

"You are cuddly today," I said.

"I have been single for too long, Mina. I'm hoping I can osmose some of your game."

I laughed. "I don't have game, I'm just a ho."

"My friend with the magic minge." She let me go, moving to my side to help me resupply our carts.

I eyed her while she busied herself. It was difficult to see past her intimidating beauty to discern the subtle emotion on her face. We were both tired after thirteen of our sixteen hours, but it was more than that. After telling me about her breakup, I realized how much wisdom came with the ten years she had on me.

"Hey, so . . ." An awkward start on my part. "Your company's contracts are one year at a time, right?"

"Yeah."

"Have they offered you an extension?"

"No, but I still have months left. Why? Did they send you one?"

"Another six months."

"Will you accept?"

Question of the century. "I wasn't planning to stay in the first place they sent me, but . . ."

"Now you've got your mans."

"Well . . . Yeah, but —"

"You can't decide if you want another six months to have someone rearrange your guts?" she said in disbelief. "Or do you worry six months will make it harder to leave?"

Her phrasing made me sound so basic. "Yes."

"You are asking the wrong one, babes. What I'd give for a year of uncomplicated sex," she groaned. "Do you think Ayumi is into girls?"

Her segue gave me whiplash. "What? Don't tell me you have a thing for Ayumi." She kept arranging the lidocaine syringes as if she didn't hear me. "Katrina, if you do not fess up right now."