-Chapter Three-

Mabel

Mabel

The blood dripped down Sebastian's fingers and onto the white-tiled floor. I forgot pack etiquette and rushed to his side, forgoing the usual submissive head bow. I took his injured hand and pressed a wad of paper napkins against the gash in his palm.

Blood and glass lay scattered around our feet. I stared at the mess and thought about asking for a dustpan and brush or a mop. Then I remembered that Sebastian was the alpha of the wealthiest pack in North America. There was no way he would know where the cleaning supplies were kept.

"Do you have a first aid box?" I asked, focusing on his hand.

Sebastian said nothing, but I could feel his dark eyes boring into the back of my head. I kept my head down, refusing to look up.

"The wound will heal by itself," Sebastian said in a low, guarded voice.

I immediately let go of his hand and backed away. Of course, his hand would heal instantly - he was a proper werewolf, unlike me.

I returned back to the entryway of his office and stared down at the floor. My breathing felt erratic, as did my heartbeat. Sebastian Cross, Alpha of Cedar Falls pack, was my mate.

I stifled a nervous giggle at the ridiculousness of the situation. A never wolf and an alpha? The moon goddesses must be playing a cosmic joke on us.

"This is impossible," I said.

Sebastian's jaw tightened, and his eyes danced between me and his mother. He was clearly shocked to see me, but that shock quickly turned into quiet, icy fury.

His piercing blue eyes fixated on his mother hovering in the doorway. "Is this your doing?" He asked darkly.

Julianne hesitated and replied, "Yes, I thought it might help."

"How could this possibly help?" He said, ignoring me. "What possible good can come of this?"

My heart sank inside my chest. Sebastian didn't want me - naturally, he didn't want me. I was never a wolf, a freak. Why would he want a failed wolf to be his Luna?

I stared at the floor, not daring to lift my eyes up. This was a dangerous situation. I needed to work out an exit plan. Clearly, Sebastian was not happy about being mated to Never Wolf.

I tried to shuffle back out the door but felt Julianne's hands clamp on either side of my shoulders.

She pushed me forward and said, "Mabel is your mate, Sebastian. You need her to help lead the pack."

Sebastian scoffed loudly, but Julianne wasn't backing down. Her grip tightened on me, and she pushed me another step forward. "Mates are a blessing. This could be the beginning of your next chapter, Sebastian."