-Chapter Five-

Mabel

Mabel

Sebastian had taken my phone and heels, leaving me in these ridiculous bunny slippers. I couldn't help but feel he was trying to stop me from sneaking away. I had no choice but to follow Lachlan to the healer. He guided me hurriedly through the maze of corridors down towards the basement.

"Can we move things along, little Moonbeam? If you keep dragging those pretty feet, then I'm going to throw you over my shoulder," Lachlan said with a smirk.

"Don't you dare," I snapped, picking up my pace.

Lachlan loosened his grip and fell into stride next to me. "You seem to know where we are going," he remarked.

"I grew up here," I said stiffly, "You really don't need to escort me. I can find my own way to the Inner Sanctum."

Lachlan dipped his head towards my shoulder and took a deep breath. I recoiled away from him and snapped, "Why are you sniffing me?"

Lachlan wrinkled his nose and thoughtfully scratched his chin. "You smell different, moonbeam," he said.

I sniffed my dress self-consciously, wondering if he could smell the cow sheds I had walked past earlier.

Lachlan took another whiff and then shrugged his broad shoulders. "You don't smell like a Selenite wolf. But, you don't smell like an Artemedian wolf either," he said.

"I wasn't blessed by either Goddess," I replied flatly.

Shock registered on Lachlan's face, and he stopped walking. "Are you telling me you're a never wolf?"

"Yes - it's why Hector exiled me. I was cast out the pack eight years ago, shortly after my sixteenth birthday."

A dark veil of anger fell over Lachlan's face. "That fucker," he growled harshly, "He threw you out onto the streets to survive?"

"Yes," I sighed. "It was a long time ago, and I'm doing just fine. I live in the city. I have an okay job and a nice house."

Lachlan frowned, "But you're moving back here, right? You're our Luna. Sebastian needs you."

"I don't know," I replied.

"What do you mean? You can't seriously be considering returning back to the city. You'll die of a broken heart - and so will Sebastian," Lachlan said.

"I'm not a real wolf. I doubt those stories apply to me," I said dismissively.

Lachlan frowned and sniffed me again. "Moonbeam, you may not smell like a Selenite or Artmedian wolf, but you do smell of something - and it ain't human," he said.

"There are only two moon goddesses, Artemis and Selene. I was not blessed by either goddess, which makes me practically human," I explained.

Lachlan shook his head and replied, "Nah - there's something different about you, Moonbeam. We just don't know what yet."