Chapter 241: The Shattered Knife

Moana

Suddenly, the golden void that I was stuck inside returned to the cliff. Only now, instead of a raging thunderstorm, it was sunny and beautiful. The birds sang overhead, and the air felt warm and fresh and a little damp from the rain.
But I didn't care about any of that. I didn't even care that I was no longer in my human form, either. I only cared about Edrick.

I jerked my head up and looked around.
No, I thought to myself as I saw the two motionless figures lying in the grass.

I scrambled to my feet and ran over to them. It felt a bit strange running on four legs instead of two, but I didn't have time to think about it right now. All I could think about was finding Edrick and making sure that he was okay.

As the figures came into view, I felt my heart sink. I didn't want anyone to die — not even Michael, despite the fact that he was trying to kill me. But when I saw the golden shards of the shattered knife lying next to him, and the cuts that traveled up his arms, I knew that he didn't make it.

The knife must have shattered in his hand, and sliced up his arm. Blood was pooled around him, and he didn't seem to be breathing.

But right now, I was more concerned about Edrick. He wasn't lying too far away, and I could see his chest moving slightly as I ran up to him.
Like the knife, my heart shattered into a million pieces as I saw Edrick lying there. His body was covered in blood and gashes from the fight. Without thinking, I shifted back into my human form and fell to my knees beside him.

"Edrick?" I whispered, tapping on the side of his face as I felt my throat choke up. "Edrick, say something."

His chest was moving slightly. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I swore that I saw his eyelids flutter.

He wasn't dead yet... I was sure of it.

"I can heal him," I said to Mina, whose presence was stronger than ever now. "Please. I need your help."

Mina's presence strengthened a little more. Before, I felt as though she was an enigma lingering at the back of my mind, but now that I had finally shifted for the first time, it felt oddly as though she was an entirely second being existing inside of me. Like we were two whole beings shoved into one shell.

Something felt different about her, too. She felt wiser, more mature. I felt the same way; it felt as if becoming the Golden Wolf filled me with a new knowledge that I had never felt before, nor had I ever expected it.

"Okay," she said. "I think you know what to do. I'll give you the strength, and you just need to focus your energy."

I nodded. A tear snuck out of my eye and rolled down my cheek as I looked down at Edrick. I put my hands on him, wincing as I felt his warm blood beneath my fingers, and did exactly what Mina instructed me to do.

I focused all of my energy on healing him. In my mind, I pictured him being healthy and safe, without any injuries or pain. I pictured him waking up and smiling at me, and that everything would be okay.

Just as Mina promised, I felt her power and strength surge through me. I felt a tingling sensation cover my arms and my hands, and I felt that energy flow out through my fingertips.

"Come on..." I whispered, focusing even harder.
Suddenly, Edrick's eyelids moved again. This time, they cracked open.

"Moana..." he murmured. His voice sounded hoarse and strained, but I only felt an ecstatic energy flow through me.

"Keep your hands on him," Mina instructed. "Don't lose focus, and don't let go."

I nodded again and continued focusing my energy on healing Edrick. As I did, I could feel his chest rising and falling more naturally now, and a joyful laugh caught in my throat.

"Moana..."

"I'm here, Edrick," I said, straining still to focus my energy on healing him. "Just don't move. I'm healing you."

But Edrick shook his head. Suddenly, he grabbed my hands and pulled them away from his body. I felt the energy in my arms and fingers fizzle out, as though someone had snuffed out a candle inside of me.

"What are you doing?!" I shrieked. I struggled against him and tried to put my hands back on him, but he wouldn't let me.

"The baby," he said, his voice barely more than a strained croak. "You'll hurt the baby... Just go. Go to Ella..."

I shook my head, my eyes filling up with tears. "No," I said, wrenching my hands free. "I can heal you. The baby will be okay. Just... Just hold still."

Edrick groaned. I pulled my hands out of his weakening grip and cursed under my breath as I saw the unmistakable red flowers of blood blossoming out beneath his white shirt, staining the fabric a deep scarlet color.

I placed my hands back on him and began to focus my energy again...
But I couldn't feel Mina's power surging.

"Mina!" I cried out loud, not caring if Edrick heard me. "Help me! What are you doing?"

"Look at him," Mina replied in a calm tone of voice that made me sick. "He's not going to make it now that the healing process has been broken, and besides... Neither of us knows if this much energy will hurt the baby. The baby has already been through so much today—"

A sob caught in my throat, and I shook my head. My red hair, which was caked to my forehead and the sides of my face by the rain, fell into my eyes as I continued pressing my hands into Edrick's wounds.

"Just help me!" I demanded. "Please, Mina! He'll die!"

Mina didn't respond at first. I pressed my hands harder into Edrick's wounds. His blood and flesh squelched beneath my touch, and I grimaced.
Finally, a small surge of energy burst forth. The tingling sensation returned to my arms and hands, and I focused my strength once more on healing Edrick's wounds.

"Moana..." His voice was just a whisper now. "I love you and our baby. Tell Ella..."

"Shut up," I demanded as my vision became completely clouded with tears. "Shut up and let me heal you."

Edrick just shook his head and touched my hand. His fingers felt cold and weak, and his hand shook. I looked down at his shaking hand and felt my chest heave.

"Moana, please," he muttered, his voice fading quickly as his breathing became rattled and strained. "Just tell me you love me..."

Edrick's icy gray eyes looked up at me. They were clouded over, just moments away from death. I felt my strength fade, and I fell back onto my butt on the wet grass and sobbed.
"Moana..." His hand fell down to the ground.
There was nothing I could do. I grabbed his cold hand and held it up to my face, pressing my cheek into his palm.

"I do love you, Edrick," I whispered between my sobs. "I love you."

A soft smile came across Edrick's face. And then, his hand fell limp.