Chapter 250: six months later

Moana

The time between Michael going to prison and Daisy's birth were such a whirlwind of activity that the months practically flew by.

Ethan and Kelly wound up being transferred to a mental health facility. I think that was better for them in the long run, as the things that they did were ultimately the result of Michael's brainwashing. I didn't hold any grudges against them; in fact, Edrick and I visited them on a monthly basis, and the medication and therapy that they went through seemed to be helping a bit.

Of course, Kelly could never get over her obsession with Edrick. Nor could Ethan get over his obsession with me. It was very likely that they would spend years in that place, but at least we could have somewhat normal conversations with them when we went to visit.

Michael, however, had no visitors and I didn't feel the least bit bad about it. Verona eventually finalized her divorce with him, and she got most of his money as well as the house. She became the matriarch of the Morgan family, and over the next six months we went to countless wonderful parties hosted by Verona where there was no drama or fighting. It felt good to finally have a chance to enjoy attending those sorts of parties without judgment or hatred.

My status as the Golden Wolf was quickly discovered by the public. There were, of course, some fringe groups who wanted me dead, but they had no way of killing the Golden Wolf now that the knife was gone. Thanks to what happened at the cliff, the future generations of the Golden Wolf would be allowed to live and continue to create peace in the world.

I continued teaching at the school, and split my time with the orphanage and the Humanity's Reach Initiative as well. I was on track to become the next headmistress at the school someday, but I still didn't know if that was what I wanted. Countless humanitarian organizations were still begging me to work for them, and the prospect of trying something new was exciting to me.

Since I continued teaching, I only volunteered for these organizations instead. On more than one occasion, Edrick accused me of doing too much and not getting enough rest. I just laughed at him because I knew that the baby and I could handle it. We had been through so much before, and the volunteering that I was doing was making the world a better place.

Edrick continued being the WereCorp CEO, but he was much different after the events at the mountain estate. He became more fair toward his human employees, and even went so far as to purchase Sophia's orphanage. He donated money to other local orphanages, and the two of us quickly became known as the biggest philanthropists in the city.

On Christmas, we even threw a massive charity gala that beat a record for the most amount of money raised toward humanitarian organizations. It was of course run by the Humanity's Reach Initiative, which had grown immensely since we joined and put in our efforts.
The two of us were happy together. We didn't have to hide our relationship from anyone — not even ourselves. In the penthouse, we were a little family. We didn't get engaged, though, but that was okay with me. I was just excited to meet our daughter.

I was lying on the couch after a long day of teaching and going to public events when I felt it. Selina had just given me a good scolding for overexerting myself so close to my due date, and now I was reading a book with a sandwich and a cup of tea sitting on the coffee table.
Suddenly, I felt something strange.

"Um... Selina?!" I called out. I dropped my book and stood, my eyes widening at the large wet spot left behind on the couch.

Selina came running, and her eyes widened as well.

"Did your..." Her voice faded and she clamped her hand over her mouth.

I nodded slowly, both excited and terrified out of my mind. "My water broke. Daisy is on the way."
Edrick and I decided to name the baby Daisy. Daisy Anne Morgan... Someday, I would tell her how her big sister picked that name out, and it was the prettiest and most special name I had ever heard.

The contractions began soon after my water broke.

Selina was on the phone with Edrick and was telling him to get home when I felt the first one. I let out a loud groan and practically doubled over from the pain as I gripped the back of the couch with white knuckles.

"Mom?" Ella asked, tugging on my skirt. "Are you alright?"

I nodded and swallowed, feeling myself already beginning to sweat from the pain. "Yes, love. It's called a contraction."

"What does that mean?"

I gritted my teeth through the pain and managed a smile. "It means that your little sister is trying to get out," I said, pinching Ella's cheek. I was overtaken then by another wave of pain, and Selina came scurrying out of the kitchen with a worried look on her face.

"Edrick is on his way. I'll take you to the hospital now if you want—"

"No." I shook my head firmly. "I want to wait for Edrick."

Selina opened her mouth to protest at first, but then quickly shut it again. I could tell that she knew that there was no changing my mind now, and so she and Ella both stayed with me while I paced back and forth around the living room, clutching my belly as waves of contractions came over me.

Finally, Edrick burst out of the elevator with a wild look on his face. His tie was loosened, his shirt was half untucked, and his hair was a mess. He looked like he practically flew here.
I couldn't help but laugh.

"You look ridiculous," I teased.

"Mom peed on the couch!" Ella shouted.

Selina hushed Ella. "Don't be rude!" she scolded. "It's not urine! It's called amniotic fluid."

Ella furrowed her brow, still clutching my skirt. "Well, it looks like pee."

Edrick and I both burst out laughing. Ella never ceased to lighten the mood, even when she didn't mean to.

Within minutes, Edrick and I were on the way to the hospital. Ella threw a royal fit when she found out that she couldn't come until later, but I knew that it would likely be hours spent in the hospital and that it would be worse if she came now.

As Edrick drove, he clutched my hand and kept looking over at me nervously, as though I would explode or even just disappear into thin air.

"I love you," Edrick said as he took a turn.
Through the pain of the contractions, I could hardly speak. I could only smile back at him, and I squeezed his hand three times. Over the past six months, we had developed a secret code to say I love you without having to speak... And at that moment, I needed to use that secret code more than ever.

Edrick grinned and squeezed back. Soon enough, the hospital came into view. Despite the pain, I couldn't stop smiling.

I was so excited to finally meet our daughter.