Is Dumbledore A Fanboy?

Walking to the Great Hall for the End of Year Feast, Daphne grinned to herself, recounting the tale Potter had narrated. At the time, she had scarcely believed it but she figured these kinds of shenanigans were to be expected from a trio as troublesome as theirs.

Hearing her housemates suddenly begin whispering, she looked up, suppressing a gasp at the transformed Great Hall.

Slytherin was winning the House Cup for the seventh year in a row and thus, the Great Hall had been decorated in Slytherin colours: green lights and soft silver ornaments floating near the ceiling. Behind the High Table was a giant green and silver banner showcasing the House mascot: a serpent.

Her grin slightly bigger, she took her seat and watched as the rest of the students filed into the Hall, all either cooing or hissing at the vibrant decor. Keeping one eye on the one particular boy who had just entered, she turned to whatever spiel Parkinson was spinning with a look of faked interest.

"- and apparently Quirrell's dead, I wonder who killed him? It couldn't have been Potter, he seems too much of a wuss to do so, not to mention it isn't very Gryffindor-ish, am I right?"

Raising an eyebrow at all the tittering which arose at that, she marvelled at how fast the rumour mill of Hogwarts really worked. Well, I suppose the ghosts and the portraits contribute a lot. They must hear all sorts of things, even when minding their own business.

Finally the chatter dimmed as Dumbledore stood up for his Final Speech and the Slytherins eagerly awaited for the announcement of their win.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore cheered. "And I must trouble you for an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. Hopefully, all your heads are a little bit fuller than they were ... you have the whole summer to get them all nice and empty before next year starts ...

Now as I understand it, the House Cup needs awarding and the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw second with four hundred and twenty-six and of course, Slytherin with four hundred and seventy-two points!"

A massive cheer broke out from the Slytherin table with many students banging their spoons on their goblets to make an even louder noise.

As she clapped along, Daphne felt the familiar foreboding feeling rise within her. Frowning, she accidentally locked eyes with Dumbledore, whose eyes glimmered in the green light.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," said Dumbledore. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room became very still with the smiling Slytherins stiffening, almost certainly feeling the same foreboding feeling.

Clearing his throat, Dumbledore continued. "I have a few last-minute points to deliver. Let's see, to Mr Ronald Weasley, I award fifty house points for the best game of Wizarding Chess ever played in the halls of Hogwarts."

What. You have got to be kidding. A round of cheering commenced, dying down only when Dumbledore cleared his throat for a second time.

"To Miss Hermione Granger - for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor fifty house points."

Seriously?! Had she had lesser self-control, her mouth would be gaping open at the moment.

"Third, to Mr Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House sixty points."

Still astonished, Daphne watched the Gryffindors cheer and shout with almost manic excitement. They had tied with Slytherin just because of Dumbledore's sudden bout of awarding House points for essentially breaking the rules. Seriously, what the hell.

Wincing, she noticed the absolutely furious looks on all of the Slytherins' faces and the matching looks of joy on the other three House students.

"Last but not the least," There's more?! "I would like to state that it takes an extraordinary amount of courage to stand up to others, and even more so to your own friends. Therefore, I would like to award Mr Neville Longbottom ten points."

Well, Dumbledore just gave Gryffindor one hundred and seventy points total for breaking the school rules when he would've likely deducted double that had the perpetrators been in Slytherin. The amount of favouritism is sickening honestly.

"What sort of favouritism is this?! They won because they broke rules??? WHAT-?"

Daphne sighed, concurring that even her and Malfoy could apparently agree on some things. She had known that Dumbledore was a suck-up and a Gryffindor-enthusiast but really? This was just dumb and unnecessary. Was he doing this just because he hated really? This was just dumb and unnecessary. Was he doing this just because he hated green or was he just an ultimate fanboy for Harry Potter like most of the Wizarding World?

Ruefully, Daphne dug into the food, tuning out the repetitive complaints of her housemates. They aren't wrong, this is unfair. At least the meal is spectacular as always.

- a/n -

cel: we're naming this chapter "is dumbledore a fanboy?"

val: no, we aren't

cel: yes, we are

val: ... yes, we are
-
pansy: no way potter killed a man

daphne, Smug with a capital S: I Know More Than You

-
lets go. 1st year done. also dumbledore is a certified harry potter simp.