Of Serpents and Roosters

Anxiety gripped Harry’s heart, as he thought of all the possible things that could happen to Greengrass. She could fall in an ancient booby trap. She could come face to face with the Heir of Slytherin. And worst of all… she could encounter the Basilisk, all alone. It hadn’t even been five minutes since they had separated, but all Harry wanted to do was get back to the girl and make sure she was safe. But he’d come too far to turn back. He kept on walking through the dark tunnel, his Lumos only lighting a little bit of the floor in front of him. After a minute of walking in the dark, Harry could see a light at the end of the tunnel. A dim light, but a light nonetheless. He walked faster, making sure not to make any noise. As he got closer, he began to hear the faint noises of someone talking. He quickened his pace, hoping Greengrass had found Ginny.

What Harry saw made him freeze in fear. He flattened his body against the wall, leaning out slightly to peek at the person standing. He was a student of Hogwarts, a senior perhaps, although his edges seemed to be flickering? What made Harry alarmed, was the fact that he had his wand pointed towards Greengrass, who was shielding a redheaded girl - Ginny!

Harry pulled his Invisibility Cloak on and began tiptoeing towards the student. The other boy raised his wand and seemed to write something in the air.

“You see, Voldemort is my past, present and future," said the boy, making Harry tense up.

As he finished swishing his wand, a name appeared in the air. Tom Marvolo Riddle.
It was Tom, the one from the Diary. Harry didn’t have time to ponder the implications of his previous sentence, because Tom flicked his wand again. The words shifted and now said, I am Lord Voldemort.

A wave of dizziness washed over Harry as he read the words in the air. He was in the presence of Voldemort! He was the Heir of Slytherin! He was the one controlling the Basilisk, causing all the petrifications around the school. He was the one responsible for Hermione being in the Hospital Wing. Harry clenched his fist, but didn’t try and do anything rash. He waited for the right moment to strike.

“You’re… you’re… Him?” Harry heard Greengrass whisper. She was visibly shaking.

“Only an incomplete form. As of now, I’m just a memory. I trapped a bit of my soul in this Diary when I was still in Hogwarts. I’ve recently learned that Harry Potter destroyed my original body although I still find it hard to believe how a mere baby could best the Dark Lord.” said Tom, with a sinister smile, which quickly turned into a frown.

“Why did you bring Weasley here?” asked Greengrass. She certainly has courage, thought Harry.

“Because she’s the one who opened my Diary. She’s the one whom I manipulated into opening the Chamber, into controlling the Slytherin’s Monster. Now, she is the one who will help me come back to life. I will use her life force to become fully corporeal. As she weakens, I grow even stronger. It won’t be long now, before I return. The only obstacle blocking my way is Harry Potter. You wouldn’t happen to know where he is, would you?” asked Tom, kneeling down in front of Greengrass.

“N-no.” she whispered, averting her gaze.

“Well,” Tom stood up, “You’re no use to me then. And I can’t leave you alive, you know too much. Rejoice, for your death will be at the hands of the greatest wizard of all time.”

Tom walked towards the statue of a large face, presumably Salazar Slytherin’s, and hissed in Parseltongue.

Serpents in the shadows, rise to my voice! Come, heed and execute my command, eternal Guardians of Slytherin!” his voice echoed within the chamber, as he raised his hands dramatically.