CH 4: House of Asmodeus

'I don't feel so good. Can you and Abel come pick me up?'

Savannah stared at the text message from Maddy. His lack of response to her texts and calls had her frightened. Now, reading his words flooded her with relief. She hurriedly replied.

'Yes, of course. Where are you? We were so worried about you. Why didn't you respond to anyone?'

A short pause, then Maddy's reply: 'I don't want to talk about it over the phone. Can you please hurry and come get me?'

His urgency renewed some of Savannah's anxiety. 'Are you okay? Is something wrong?'

'No,' Maddy texted back. 'I just don't feel well.'

Savannah nodded, though he couldn't see her. 'Ok. Tell me where you are, and we'll be right there.'

Maddy sent his location.

'We're on our way. Don't go anywhere.' Savannah grabbed her jacket and started out of the bedroom when Maddy sent another message.

'Don't tell Max or anyone—except Abel—that I messaged you. I'll talk to my dads when I get home.'

Savannah replied with a thumbs up, though she felt conflicted about not contacting Max and Horatio. They were very worried. Savannah rushed past the living room where her twin brothers, Noah and Noel, sat together on the sofa. The TV was on, but neither appeared tuned into the program; they were as worried as everyone else.

She found Abel in the kitchen, sitting alone at the table. Twenty minutes ago, Devlin had left for the hospital for a late shift, insisting they call him within an hour, whether or not Maddy showed up.

"Maddy texted me," Savannah blurted out.

"What?" Abel sprang to his feet. "Where is he? Is he all right?"

"Yeah, he's okay. But he asked if we could come get him. He isn't feeling well."

"Of course. Absolutely," Abel said. "Did you contact Max, let him know Maddy responded?"

"No... not yet." Savannah showed him Maddy's text. "Let's just go get him. It won't take very long."

Abel frowned. "I don't feel right not telling them."

"I know, me too. But he asked us not to."

On their way out, they paused at the living room. "Maddy messaged," Abel told them. "We're going to pick him up."

"He did?" Both boys perked up. "Is... is he okay?"

"Yeah." Abel smiled. "We won't be gone long. Lock the door after us, and don't answer it unless it's someone you know."

"Yeah, we know." Noah smiled, relief on his face.

They'd had too many close calls within their family and extended family to take chances with strangers. Noah and Noel didn't take it lightly and always did as Abel and Devlin instructed.

"Why do you think Maddy asked us to come pick him up?" Savannah wondered once they were in the car and on their way. "Why didn't he call Max? Or Angel?"

"I don't know." Abel shrugged. "Maybe he got in a little trouble or something and didn't want a lecture from his dad or brother." He smiled at Savannah. "Who knows? I'm just glad he contacted someone. I was starting to worry about him."

"Me, too," Savannah whispered. "I started to get that feeling I got when he disappeared and went to the island. I don't ever want to feel that way again."

"None of us do."

Savannah looked at her phone again and reread Maddy's texts. "He said he wasn't feeling well," she whispered. "Do you think he meant, like, sick to his stomach?" She raised her eyes to her older brother. "Or something else?"