CH 7: Anything You Want

Devlin Grant was smaller than Cole, yet his uncharacteristic outburst caused Cole to recoil. He'd only seen him this upset and angry a couple of times since he met the doctor. Cole dropped back down in the chair as a wave of dizziness washed over him.

"Devlin..." he started, intending to tell him everything. But the words caught in his throat as a band of pressure squeezed his chest, compressing his lungs and cutting off his air. Sweat broke out all over his body and his heart began to pound, harder and faster. Panic shot through him, and he fell forward off the chair and onto his hands and knees, trying to breathe.

"Cole..." Devlin's fury dissipated in an instant. "Cole, what's wrong?"

"I can't... breathe..." Sobs burst from him in panicked gasps. "I can't... I don't... know what to do... this can't be happening... it can't..."

Devlin went to him quickly and helped him back onto the chair. "You're having a panic attack," Devlin spoke calmly. "You're going to be okay. Breathe through your nose, slow and deep." Devlin pressed his hand to Cole's stomach, just above his belly button. "Focus on the things around you, in this room... focus on my voice."

Cole fought the panic and did as Devlin instructed. After a few minutes, the pressure in his chest eased and his breathing leveled out. The shakes remained, bringing on a flood of tears.

"Cole, talk to me," Devlin said softly. "I've never seen you like this. You're scaring me. Do you know where Abel and Savannah are? Maddy? What do you mean, this can't be happening? What is it?"

The younger man was doing his damnedest to remain in control and not lose it again.

"I-I'll tell you," Cole whispered, his words breaking. "But... but I need Dane. I didn't... I didn't call him yet."

"I'll call him."

"Tell Angel to... to get the twins and... and go to Max's and... stay there."

"All right." Devlin didn't ask why, fully aware that something was wrong.

"Tell Dane... to come here." Cole trembled.

"Okay." Devlin stayed by his side while he made the call.

• • •

"Devlin. Hey, what's up?"

"Are you alone?"

"Angel is in the shower."

"I need you to listen to me, okay?" Devlin said. "Have Angel go to my place and pick up the twins and take them to Max's, and then stay there."

Dane frowned. "Okay. What's going on?"

"I'll explain when you get here."

"Where?"

"I need you to come to the hospital."

Dane grew uneasy. "Why?"

Devlin hesitated. "Gabe was attacked. He's been stabbed."

"What? Is he all right?"

"He's in surgery. We don't know anything yet." Devlin faltered. "No one knows except Cole and me. And I need you to not tell anyone just yet, not even Angel."

"I don't understand. Why aren't you telling anyone?"

"Something is... wrong," Devlin spoke low, a notable strain in his voice. "I don't know the details yet, but... but Cole does. He wants you here before he talks."

Dane shook his head, confused. "I don't..."

"Just get here as soon as you can," Devlin said. "Please. It... it's serious."